Obselete Part for 1989 Johnson 3hp J3BRESR

fixcarb

Recruit
Hi
I lost part 40 shown it the schematic shown in the link that follows. It was a stiff piece of wire. Can anyone tell me what it does and if there are any key things I have to keep in mind if I try to make another. Is there anyplace I can find specifications for part 40? I started to take the carburetor apart to clean because the motor only runs only at high speed and will not idle.

If you have a J3BRESR and can look under the cover at the carburetor it would be appreciated. I suspect that either part 40 limits the amount the choke closes or limits its movement in someway. but with out the actual part I can't tell what it does. I picture of the left side of the choke would be fantastic!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J3BRESR 1990/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Obselete Part for 1989 Johnson 3hp J3BRESR

I can't see that it hooks to anyhing except the screw for the splash guard. Could it just be a brace of some sort?

fixcarb

Recruit

Hi
If you have the motor is there any chance that you could take a picture? If I can see where it sits I am sure I can make something. The carburetor schematic just isn't very helpful in defining the function for this part. Thanks for the reply.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had 3 this type of motors(4hp) but no one had this part.so i think you can run motor without this part

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

There are no obsolete parts for a motor that's only 22 years old. Just no way. I would try somewhere else and tell these guys to take a walk.

fixcarb

Recruit

Raczekp1, daveit--I believe that you are both right. I looked at the schematic for a E4RLESR (4HP Evinrude) almost all of the carb parts have the same part number as the J3BRESR 3HP. The E4RLESR doesn't have the part that I lost from the J3BRESR. So it must have been a brace or designed to protect some thing from physical abuse. I wonder could it have been to prevent the splash guard from bending back and breaking?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, Sea-Way is an excellent source. I bought all the innards for the powerhead on my 1941 Johnson HD-20, for a decent price, so I know they'll be able to help you out.