timing 88 hp evinrude spl.

keykev

Seaman
I looked in top secret file to time my 88 hp motor without having to race across the lake will trying to attempt it (especially with my wife driving) but do not fully understand it. At wide open trottle I do not see any rubber stop that timer base even comes to touching. The adjustment screw contacts a stop at idle. Also, what is the spark plug tester with the 7/16 gap I have to make ? And, with spark plugs out and cranking engine with timing light connected to No. 1 cyclinder, shouldn't all plug wires be grounded to prevent damage to the ignition system ? Also, where does spark plug tester go ? Thanks KeyKev

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: timing 88 hp evinrude spl.

I looked in top secret file to time my 88 hp motor without having to race across the lake will trying to attempt it (especially with my wife driving) but do not fully understand it. At wide open trottle I do not see any rubber stop that timer base even comes to touching. The adjustment screw contacts a stop at idle. Also, what is the spark plug tester with the 7/16 gap I have to make ? And, with spark plugs out and cranking engine with timing light connected to No. 1 cyclinder, shouldn't all plug wires be grounded to prevent damage to the ignition system ? Also, where does spark plug tester go ? Thanks KeyKev

I have a '96 88SPL and used this method to set my timing.

Advance the throttle to full open, I don't have a rubber stop on mine either. The spark linkage fully advances at about half throttle.

To protect the spark plug caps, I put four, 1" pieces of rubber tubing in the caps.

Connect timing light to #1, spark plugs out, disconnect the fuel line, have someone crank the motor and set the timing according to the instructions.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get a spark plug tester at Autozone or your nearby parts store for $6.99.That's what I paid, anyway. Good luck!

keykev

Seaman

ok, i understand how this will work, but rubber tubing in the plug wires? shouldn,t the wires be grounded to block so current has somewhere to go. thank you all for your help

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make up three jumper wires and ground out the plug wires. The fourth wire will be # 1 for your spark tester and timing lite.