1998 Evinrude 90 hp Primer Bulb or Fuel Pump

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1998 90hp Evinrude, but I?m having an issue with the motor dying on me. It run fine the first couple of times that I had it on the water. And then it just started dying. The first thing I noticed is that I have to crank the motor for about a minute or a minute and half before the motor will start. I?m using a primer bulb to prime the pump but it seems like its not getting enough fuel. The motor would run fine across the water for about three (3) minutes then the motor would die. I would have to prime the bulb each time, (the primer bulb seem a soft, but I can still feel fuel in the bulb) but each time the motor would start and quickly die. If I continue to pump the bulb, the motor would stay running, but loses power. I don?t know if it?s the bulb or the fuel pump. Need a little help, I had the compression checked, new plugs, new wire, new power pack, new coils, new starter, new fly wheel, new fuel pump primer and new hoses.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 Evinrude 9ohp Primer Bulb or Fuel Pump

you replaced all that trying to fix this problem??????

new power pack and coils werent cheap i bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a similar issue and I think it is either a slight air leak in the system , too long a gas run from tank to motor , or a weakening fuel pump...or a combination of those things!!

I start out and get about 300 yards and the motor stsrts to starve for fuel...squeeze the bulb and she comes back to life...that can happen 6 times on the way out of the harbor.

once i get a good column of gas in the lines and have been running 10 minutes or so....all seems fine

leading me to think it might be a weakening fuel pump...and once i get a solid column of gas, the pump doesnt have to work as hard, as the fuel is almost flowing itself....

bob

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for replying Bob,

I change all those items because 3 men that live on the next street over decided one night to steal my motor off my boat. They removed a lot items listed, and I had to replace them. I don't know if it is that fuel pump, the motor has less then 60 hours on it. But I am using an older primer bulb and fuel line going to the motor. I replaced the fuel line coming from the tank. So I might have a air leak between the tank and the motor. What I hate is, the manufacture put zip ties on almost all the hoses leading to the motor. I can say the primer bulb is about 7 years old and the hose leading to the motor looks like it never been change in 30 years . I do have a quick connect on the tank, but that is brand new. The motor itself does not have a quick connect, that a first for me. As far as the tank is concerned. I could have a bad pickup in the tank. I took the air hose off the tank, thinking the tank was not getting enough air, but the tank is under deck. I have a 6 gallon tank I might test the tank. come to think of it, I didn't have this problem with the 6 gallon tank. Could something be wrong within the tank.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would doubt that it being a new tank seeing you pump up the primer bulb, Sounds like its a fuel pump related, bad or torn diaphram. Post back and let us know. ? Did the people/s that stole your motor get a real good spanking?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

Yes they did, I got to them before the cop's did. I got charged, but the police dropped the charges. (LOL)...I don't know I did have this issue when I use the smaller tank. I put a new diaphram in already. I'm going to try changing the tank with a smaller tank. The tank I put in was a used tank that I found in a boat grave yard. I'm going to test that tank today. I think it's the pickup in the tank.....