1967 (?) 9.5Hp Johnson Outboard oil leak/waterpump questions

gav99x

Recruit
Hi everyone, firstly what a great site, I have been doing a fair bit of browsing over the past few days and there is a great amount of info available, thanks!

I have recently acquired what I think is a Johnson 1967 model 9.5 hp 2 stroke (model MQ 13 H). It is in excellent condition for it's age and I am keen to give it a good once over, then use it on my 11ft aluminium dinghy. I don't believe it has been used in a long time, however there is excellent spark from both plugs, and the compression feels good (although I haven't measured it). Additionally there is almost no visible corrosion anywhere, and all rubber seals/tubes/leads etc appear to be in great condition.

I have purchased the original factory service manual (for a 1970 model but I understand it has only minimal if any changes from 1967).

Whilst I am new to this outboard, I am not new to outboards in general having owned several over the years (currently have a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke and an 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke fitted to other boats), and as part of this have done my share of maintenance including water pump replacements, drilling and re-tapping snapped waterjacket bolts due to corrosion (not from my lack of up keep to be clear!) etc.

The problems I have noticed with this 9.5hp that require attention are:

When the engine is laid down (either prop down or up), there is a slow leak of gear case oil from the lower unit. Upon draining the gearcase oil I note there is a fair bit of water in there, in addition to the oil. The oil looked good however water in there is obviously not good. I also noted that there were no washers on the fill or vent screws. Gearbox changes smoothly it seems between forward/neutral/reverse. Lastly, there was an amount of fishing line wound around the propshaft that I have now removed.

Upon removal of the lower unit and removal of the waterpump housing, I note a significant amount of what I assume to be gearcase oil in the waterpump itself.

My initial plan was to replace the water pump impellor (the reason I removed the lower unit), however now I see there is additional work to be done.

My summation of the problem thus far is that I need to replace one or more seals in the lower unit, in addition to the water pump impellor. I have the following questions I was hoping someone could point in the right direction on:

1. I can easily pull out the drive shaft by hand - is this normal?
2. Do I need to split the lower unit casing and remove all of the innards to replace the driveshaft oil seal if that is what the problem is?
3. If the driveshaft oil seal is the issue, how can I get the bottom of the waterpump housing off to access the seal? It seems to be on there tight.
4. I note the seal kit located here: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...der--gd_grid_id.162--gd_poid.110557--gd_row.6 is for models 1958-1967 - given mine is a 1967, is this the correct seal kit?
5. Lastly, I would like to change the thermostat to be on the safe side, whilst I have removed the 3 cover bolts easily enough, dislodging the thermostat cover is proving to be a challenge - does anyone have any tips on how to do this easily?

Thanks greatly to all in advance for any help you can give and my apologies for such a long first post.

Regards,

Gavin

gav99x

Recruit
Re: 1967 (?) 9.5Hp Johnson Outboard oil leak/waterpump questions

Bump ;)

Can't believe how many threads get posted on this site per day, incredible!

D

DJ

Your questions are very well asked. I'm not familiar enough with the 9 1/2's to answer them.

Doesn't the manual explain everything?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes it is a 1967.
1- yes, the drive shaft will pull right out of the lower unit with the water pump housing removed.
2- yes, in order to replace the propshaft seal you must split the lower unit.
3- once you remove all of the water pump bolts, you should be able to gently pry the bottom housing up, might be stuck down with sealer, be gentle.
4- The seal kit gives the OEM part numbers, compare them in a parts breakdown, althought it should be the right one.
5- the thermostat cover is probably stuck down, with all the bolts removed tap on it slightly from the side and it should pop off.
You have a manual, do some reading and you shouldn't have any problems, if you have more questions, come on back and ask.

gav99x

Recruit

Thanks gents for your reply's.

The manual is good, however there was some ambiguity (in my opinion anyway), hence I thought I better ask a couple of questions before I start pulling things apart ;)

Daviet, re your response to question two, it was the driveshaft oil seal (not the prop shaft oil seal) that I was referring to - i.e. do you know if you have to split the lower cases to remove the driveshaft oil seal? Or can you remove and replace it once you pry the bottom of the waterpump housing up (i.e. from the top of the lower unit, not from the inside which would require splitting of the lower unit cases)?

Thanks again,

Gavin

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are two seals. One under the waterpump housing to keep oil in, one on top to keep water out, and yes you have to take L/U off! Good luck and let us know how you make out!

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:):)Hey gav99x, I took the top plate off my 6 hp evinrude latley to check it out and install a pee tube, and " yes " after taking out the 3 bolts it was very stuborn to get the lid off, took a strong putty knife and tap it upward under the tops "lip " to get it to bugg, i was worried about breaking it, but it finally came off.-
DSCF1396.jpg
-
DSCF1399.jpg
-
DSCF1405.jpg
-
DSCF1406.jpg

gav99x

Recruit

There are two seals. One under the waterpump housing to keep oil in, one on top to keep water out, and yes you have to take L/U off! Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Thanks Monte1961, I understand I have to take the lower unit off (it's already off), my question was whether I need to split the lower unit cases (i.e. either side of the propshaft) to access the oil seal under the water pump or not.

Think I'll get the lower waterpump housing off and see what I can see.

Thanks again, Gavin

Thanks also coinman1947, sounds like the way to go, I have a putty knife so will have a look with that tomorrow.

Cheers

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No you will have to pull water-pump housing. Once you pull the 4 bolts out and take the top off then the impeller comes out there's a housing you will see that's in the L/U. Two medium screwdrivers and a propane torch will do the job. The seal may look like its molded in, but it's not. Apply heat to it, need not be cherry red, and knock it out. Dont worry about the rubber melting, new seal takes care of that. Be sure that you dont loose the little key-way for the impeller. Also, if there is a small groove worn in the shaft made by old seal, some emery-cloth and a half inch drill can take care of that. Pryor to reinstalling, put a little grease on seal and main shaft. Post back and let us know what happens.