93 Johnson commercial, several problems

crownver

Recruit
Hello all, a newbie here. I'm pretty mechanically adept, especially with cars, but outboard motors are a bit of a mystery to me, so any and all help is appreciated!

I recently purchased an older 17' Sangster with a '93 65 HP commercial 3 cylinder outboard, model #CE65RSLG. The PO said it had been flipped and sat upside down in the water for a while. He had the carbs cleaned out and apparently got it started, and then it sat for a year or so.

The wiring on this thing was a bit messed up, and it had the old dual lever controls. I've picked up a newer single lever control and have rewired it for that. Now the problems.

I don't know how this motor ever worked on the boat with the control system. There's either shift and throttle parts missing under the cowl, or it never had them. It doesn't have, nor does it look like it ever had, a tiller control, but there's just no way to hook up the cables. He had it kind of set up, but didn't look like it would work. I can't seem to find a picture or diagram that looks like mine. Does anyone have a picture of the shift and throttle control set up that should be on this motor?

I did get it running, barely, but as of yet haven't got it to idle worth a dang. Have to keep working the throttle to keep it going. I've been reading the posts on this site and see that I should probably re-check spark with a tester at 7/16". I do have spark at the plugs but it didn't seem that strong. Compression is 90 across all 3 cylinders. Hope that is good enough.

Again, any help, especially on the control set up for now, would be greatly appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 93 Johnson commercial, several problems

Could be a dead duck, was it salt water?

crownver

Recruit

I don't know for sure but likely. It did run today, just not very well.

crownver

Recruit

So basically at this time I'm looking for a picture or parts diagram for the '93 Johnson 65 HP model #CE65RSLG shift and throttle control linkage at the engine. The parts schematics I can find on line don't look the same as what I have. Anybody?