2002 johnson 175hp.

jrsmit11

Recruit
When I first lauch my boat there is no problem starting or running the motor, it runs great as long as you keep it running. Once I stop and fish for a while thats when the problem starts. When I crank the motor it will start right up without having to use the choke but once I engauge the motor to go forward it dies out. If I hurry up and bring it back to idle it will stay running. It takes me about 10 times of starting the motor and trying to get past that dying area in the throttle before I'm able to take back off, and once I get to where it will actually take back off it runs great until shut it off for a period of time. I would apreciate any feedback thanks.

emoney

Commander
Re: 2002 johnson 175hp.

Is your fuel bulb staying hard? Are you using a fuel/water separator and how long has it been, if ever, since the carbs were redone? Check your fuel system from the tank back to the pump, incuding the filter inside the pump cover and diaphram. How long does it actually sit when the starting issue begins? On my 140, if I've been sitting for 20 minutes or more, I don't have to choke, but I do, most times, have to use the warm up lever until she's ready. Is this an issue that just started, or is this your first time with this motor?

jrsmit11

Recruit
Re: 2002 johnson 175hp.

I had the carbs cleaned late last year and the boat ran just fine after that. The dying out problem has seemed to slowly get worse over time. It started out just one or two times of restarting and now its alot. I just picked the boat up today I had a water seperator/filter installed along with the carbs being cleaned and the problem still is the same (not done by mechanic shop, someone I know.). If it only sits for a few minutes its OK its just after about 10-15min. or more.