transporting an outboard motor

fooj

Recruit
My first post! I hope everyone is having a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!

I've just acquired a 1981 Johnson 15hp motor and a 1954 14' aluminum fishing boat. During the 8 hr drive to our fishing destination next week, I'm surmising that it's best for the transom to not have the motor constantly torquing on it. If that's true, is it best to put the motor in the back of my tow vehicle, and if so, should I lay the motor on it's left or right side, or other?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: transporting an outboard motor

it's okay to keep the motor on the transom, just make sure that the motor is way clear of the ground, when towing, so you don't bark your skeg.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If your transom is not sturdy enough for trailering, it probably is not too great for the torque of the motor while pushing the boat either. Ok, having said that, if you are uncomfortable about the motor bouncing around while trailering, simply get yourself a transom saver. Easier and better for your back than lugging the motor on and off. iboats sells them. I'll bet a lot of home made ones are running around too. A piece of wood, a saw, maybe a couple of bungees, and some imagination and creativity.

levi_tsk

Ensign

stow the motor so that the carry handle is pointed up i personally would take it off dont like the though of it dragging the skeg but thats just me

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Put an old blanket in the bottom of the boat and lay the engine on it doesn't matter which side down, might leak alittle gas but won't hurt the engine at all.

fooj

Recruit

Thanks for the advice! I don't know that I'll have time to acquire and install a transom saver before this particular trip, but that will be my long term solution.

I had heard that if I store the motor in a particular orientation, I'll foul the plugs. Has anyone heard of this concern?

levi_tsk

Ensign

not with two strokes .... the four strokes will leak oil out of the crankcase and into the cylinders and this will foul the plugs

the reason i said "with the carry handle pointed up" is because the float will keep the needle valve shut and it wont leak as bad

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Don't worry about fouling plugs, you might get some fuel leakage out of the carb if you don't run it dry. If you lay it down make sure not to lay it down on the shift handle, they break off easy if bounced on the lever. Notice how the back of the engine is flat, if you were to set it on the floor you would set it on it's back. That is the way I transport them, just make sure they cannot fall over.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fooj
Wallmart has transom savers For about $30.
Thats where I got Mine. I had to cut it down to fit My boat
But it works good.
Have fun on Your trip.
Steve A W

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Put an old blanket in the bottom of the boat and lay the engine on it doesn't matter which side down, might leak alittle gas but won't hurt the engine at all.

If you do this, shifter side always goes up, or it will break. i believe the 15 has a front mounted shifter, but still, it should not lay with the motor, unless it is completely away from the place the motor is laying on.

I see bunches of boats on a daily basis, going down the road with motors mounted on the transoms, so it is perfectly safe to do. Just make sure that your skeg isn't close to the ground and risk being barked on the pavement.