levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: 1997 Johnson 115 SPL will not accelerate - stalls when put in gear

LL44011.gif

alangibson

Recruit

I would be extremely interested in what results you found as:
I have exactly the same motor (make, year, and model)
with exactly the same problem.

It ran fine twice this year, and then started stalling at high speed after 3 minutes.

Now it stalls each time the butterfly valves start to open.

I rebuilt the carbs, and there were no blockages.

I have also installed a new power pack, new plugs, rebuilt the fuel pump, checked all fuel lines... and it still stalls when I try to go faster than an idle.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

alangibson, you need to start a new post, people will see a new post with a new question and help you out.

OldSaybrook

Cadet

I apologize for the delay. We finally had to have a mechanic come and check out the engine. It took him two minutes of seeing the engine running to know the problem. Turns out there are three jets in each carb (2 high speed and one small jet between them) they were clean but not providing the motor with enough gas. He took the carbs to his shop and installed the next size up jets. Reinstalled the carbs and boat is running like a champ. (per my father inlaw) I am actually on the way out the door to take it out.

Let me know if you have any questions. Im not a pro but have learend a lot the past two weeks.

levi_tsk

Ensign

cool man glad to hear you got it going:D

denebach

Cadet

You forgot to mention that the motor was running perfectly before all this happened and you had not readjusted any thing. All this timing nonsense could be avoided and head to the ignition and /or carb problem.