Should spark plugs be changed every year?

OutaCash

Recruit
Re: Should spark plugs be changed every year?

Spark plugs generally don't have a calendar life and replacement is dependent on running hours and electrode condition. If you put on a lot of running hours then inspect them annually. Make sure the center electrode has crisp/sharp edges (not radiused over from errosion), the ground electrode is not erroded and the gap is in spec. Electrodes should have a chocolate brown color (similar to the color of chocolate mik). Don't sandblast spark plugs! You risk having grains of imbedded grit packing up in the insulator nose that will work loose in a running engine. Grit and moving aluminum/iron parts don't get along well together. If they are dirty enough to require sandblasting, replace the plugs instead.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sandblasting plugs went out in the 1960's. The plug can retain sand and I wouldn't want it in my mtr. New plugs are cheaper than P/H's. Best thing to do if you have a miss-fire or down on power,check the plugs first and replace if necessary.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

Best thing to do if you have a miss-fire or down on power,check the plugs first and replace if necessary.

from my experience you will not be down on power with a worn plug, but misfiring or hard starts can occour .

at WOT the best spark cannot do more than ignite the mixture and has no effect on the power result after it ignited it.

i think i will check next time my plugs and regap them since the fichts seem to be sensitive to this , especially when you have to deal with speed limits , so trolling occurs often. i change when the engine makes issues or the plug looks worn or heavily fouled.

when you say sparks are cheap- well... in germany i payed 18 euros or 25 $ for ONE of the original champion xc12pepb for the ficht ram, knowing that i need six of them i feel its not that cheap...

but maybe its like the gasoline prices in USA you claim they rise and rise... well.-come to europe and refill your tank by roughly 2 $ a litre- not a gallon :-(

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I know this the Johnrude forum, but with regard to spark plugs. My 1984 Merc 115 still had its original plugs in when I traded it in 1998. There were surface gap NGKs and were still firing well. engine had about 500 hours on it. The 1998 150 Fucht that replaced it went thru 2 - 3 sets of plugs a year. OMC always replaced them no charge during the 4 summers I had that engine

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

surely it depends on the engine. its a known issue that with the first fichts OMC had serious combustion troubles and the engines had eaten the plugs. one more argument may be- replace when needed. on the one engine more on the other less often.