Johnson GT 150 V6, How to Adjust Fuel/Oil Ratio?

Rekd

Recruit
I've been storing a relative's boat, she lets me take it to the river when I want but I haven't been in a couple years and now I think it's burning too much oil. I'm somewhat familiar with OHV 2 strokes but not so much with outboards.

There's LOTS of (blue) smoke for first few minutes it runs, then steady smoke, more than I remember. You can see the oil in the water when it runs. The plugs are all oil fouled with small deposits on the insulator.

I don't have the manual and I don't know where to adjust the fuel/oil ratio to try and burn less oil.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Johnson GT 150 V6, How to Adjust Fuel/Oil Ratio?

You can't.

Excessive smoke is usually from:

-fouled carburetors.
-low compression.
-cheap oil.

Rekd

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Could be any one of those. I'll start at the bottom and work up. :D

Should there be noticeable globs of oil coming out? I don't remember there being that much. (I can see about a teaspoon size pools floating down my driveway filtering into some recently cut grass.

D

DJ

Thanks for the reply. Could be any one of those. I'll start at the bottom and work up. :D

Should there be noticeable globs of oil coming out? I don't remember there being that much. (I can see about a teaspoon size pools floating down my driveway filtering into some recently cut grass.

No there should not be. I think you are pretty carboned up. I would start here. Link

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

Be warned, that process WILL be messy.

Then, I would proceed to carb's.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check the gasoline line for air leaks. If air leaks in the motor mixes in more oil.