1970 60HP Johnson blowing main fuse

needwarmth

Cadet
I have a 1970, 60 hp Johnson outboard that blows the 20 amp main fuse after running for a couple of minutes. Initially found the red wire on the rectifier was cooked and broken. Fixed that and seemed to be fine for a day - tach now works after not working before. Then more blown fuses. Switched the "stacked" order of wires on the ignition switch terminal and seemed to extend the time before blowing a fuse again. Seems odd to have to hook up 4 wires to the one terminal on the starter switch....Also noticed some smoke from the hydro elec. box. Is this a bad ignition switch? Any troubleshooting ideas would be VERY appreciated. Would a higher amp fuse (25?) make any difference?

D

DJ

Re: 1970 60HP Johnson blowing main fuse

I higher amp fuse will just let more smoke out of parts that you don't want to.:eek:

You, most likely, have a bad ground somewhere. I would start at the negative battery terminal where it attaches to the engine block.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Or some wrong wires that are making contact that shouldn't be. Anything is possible on a 1970 mtr. Wires deteriate over the years.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get yourself multiple pieces of shrink tube and go through ALL the wires. any cracks,barespots,any wire that looks iffy shrink tube it.