Evinrude Mate question

jafo20

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1970 Evinrude Mate and would like to know how to operate this motor. There is a rich/lean knob, choke, and a knob that comes out below both them in the middle lust below the mortor cover. I just got this motor and need some help. Thank you in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Mate question

The lever on the bottom should move from left (stop) to the right (wide open). Set the lever about 1/3 the way open, pull the choke out and pull the recoil starter. Be careful, If I remember correctly, there is no gear shift on your engine, it will start in gear.
If it will not start, has it been sitting for a while, you may have to check spark, compression and make sure it is getting fuel. Check on the lower side of the tank for a fuel shut off valve, make sure it's open.

D

DJ

It's been a LONG time since I've looked at one of those. If you have a picture, that would be great.

1. The engine needs a mix of oil and gas. The mix ratio of oil to gas is 50:1. Use ONLY TCW-3 rated outboard oil.

2. I believe the knob in the middle may be your fuel shut off.

3. To start, advance the throttle to about 1/2

4. Set the choke full out.

5. Pull the rope until it starts. You may have to "feather" the choke a bit to keep it running.

6. The "Rich/lean" knob can be adjusted when the engine is running on it's own-nop choke. This is primarily by ear. What sounds best.

If you do not know anything about this engine or when it was serviced last, I would at minimum:

1. Change water pump impeller.

2. Change lower unit lube.

jafo20

Cadet

How many turns out should the lean/rich knob be to start?? Also the knob that come out of the bottom of the carb? should that one be all the way in? The lean/rich knob enters the top of the carb.

D

DJ

How many turns out should the lean/rich knob be to start?? Also the knob that come out of the bottom of the carb? should that one be all the way in? The lean/rich knob enters the top of the carb.

I am ASSUMING this is a 1.5 HP "Mate". Model 1R70R. I just looked at a parts diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1970/1R70R 1970/CARBURETOR GROUP/parts.html

Typically, you turn them IN until they seat-GENTLY, then out 1 and 1/2 turns to start.

One is the low speed, one is the high speed. The bottom is the high speed.

jafo20

Cadet

yes the bottom one says high speed. so 1.5 turns each? I'm at 7500ft. would that make differance?

D

DJ

yes the bottom one says high speed. so 1.5 turns each? I'm at 7500ft. would that make differance?

You BET it will. You may get less than 1 HP out of it.

You can still start at 1 1/2 to start and fiddle with it from there.

jafo20

Cadet

Thanks...I am going to try and get it running tomorrow. This motor fired but quit. Is cleaning the carb where i should start?

D

DJ

Thanks...I am going to try and get it running tomorrow. This motor fired but quit. Is cleaning the carb where i should start?

Yes, but "cleaning" does NOT mean spraying carb. cleaner in it. Cleaning means disassembling, cleaning and installing a new kit.

You might as well do the other stuff I mentioned too. As long as the compression is good, it's worth putting a few $$$ into. It's a real simple engine and can be fun to work on.

jafo20

Cadet

New question...Got the motor running but noticed some black liquid coming out a weep hole in the top of the prop housing.....what is this?

Thanks

jafo20

Cadet

It was black like oil or grease.....came out just below the water intake just above the prop on left side. left black oil like blobs in the barrel i ran it in. When i pulled it out of the barrel it ran out of the single tiny weep hole. Straight black.

Normal??

D

DJ

It was black like oil or grease.....came out just below the water intake just above the prop on left side. left black oil like blobs in the barrel i ran it in. When i pulled it out of the barrel it ran out of the single tiny weep hole. Straight black.

Normal??

Yes. If it was BELOW the prop you MIGHT suspect a lower unit leak. However, those are actually rare.

D

DJ

Please open your own thread. Otherwise, readers/posters may confuse your issue with the other. I will do so for you.

cr2k

Captain

Most likely unburnt oil from the fuel mix. It will collect in the exhaust housing and drip out. Mostly do to cheap oil or incorrect mix ratio.
50:1 means just that. Extra oil while it may sound safe actually will dilute the fuel mixture and it will run lean.