1940 Evinrude Sportsman question

jafo20

Cadet
Hello,

Could amyone tell me what a 1940 sportsman 2hp is worth? Not running and in decent shape overall....been sitting for many years.

Thank you

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1940 Evinrude Sportsman question

I bought a 1938 sportsman this past winter to fix up for $75. I think I did okay, and it was a fair deal for the buyer and seller. The guy claimed he had it running last year, but he had to be pulling my leg, because when I got it apart, the whole water pump assembly was in pieces. Fortunately, I just wanted a wallhanger.

jafo20

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.....I would like to restore the motor. I don't want to sink more cash into the motor than it is worth so what are they worth restored?

Thanks

jafo20

Cadet

Could someone tell me the year of this motor? #425401546

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A restored engine is worth more than one that needs to be overhauled. Somestimes the area of the country they are worth more than other parts.

D

DJ

As a viable engine to actually use, I wouldn't do it.

But, they are very cool looking and make a great garage piece.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I had a 1937 Evinrude Sportsman once. Sweet running little motor. I would seriously consider getting it as a restoration project and take it out once in a while to keep it running good. I think all you'll need to do is clean it up and polish the points. The ignition systems are pretty reliable in those. Believe it or not, I was actually able to obtain a brand new cylinder jug and rings for mine, when I first got it.