Shop manual choice SELOC or Clymer

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer
If I plan on buying 1 of them as a shop manual to help me work on my motor which is a 1978 Johnson 70hp which one should I get? thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Shop manual choice SELOC or Clymer

Honestly I wouldn't buy either one. I would pay twice as much and get the OMC shop manual that is specifically for your motor. Available at outboardbooks.com , sometimes on ebay.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I agree on the factory manual.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Neither one. Get the factory manual. Seloc and Clymer replaced the Sears catalog in the outdoor "johns".

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

If ya can't find a Factory manual heres some links, like everyone said a factory manual kicks MAJOR butt.

Model number 70873
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...type=Service+Manual&Engine=389184&Model=70873

Model number 70EL78
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...ype=Service+Manual&Engine=389184&Model=70EL78

If you had to pick either a SELOC or Clymers though it almost a tie. I find Clymers to be more easy to read and while it does cover lots of motors usually like the SELOC, it covers each motor "alittle" more than SELOC. Not by much though. A tie between those two.

DamianJP

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Both of those are really bad because they cover so many engines and years, the last one I saw covered 23 models and something like 15 years and nothing in any detail, they are awful.

As everyone else has said the factory manual is the only way to go, it covers your engine only in tremendous detail, you will never regret spending the money.

Poke around on Ebay an you should find one, nothing on CD they are really bad to.