1949 Evinrude Zephyr model 4429--urgent help needed!!!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1949 Evinrude Zephyr model 4429--urgent help needed!!!!

I bought a zephyr a couple of months ago, wish I hadn't for the price I paid ($175). The AOMCI member who sold it to me said it was good to go, he kinda lied. Cool motors, the carb is a piece of crap x 10 and the ignition is non standard. They are more of a novelty motor than a daily runner. I will fix my carb when I find the time, it runs but only for a minute or two. If you are buying it for collectibililty than cool, otherwise i'd walk away.

Patfandango

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. He's asking $125 for it, but he doesn't know anything about it other than it was his Dad's and it's been sitting covered in the basement. He's liquidating his Dad's estate. It really caught my eye, but after what you've said I'm definitely going to be cautious. I'm a little surprised that a vintage motor like that isn't worth more. That's your Zephyr in your profile pic isn't it?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The left motor under my name is a mercury kh7, the bottom one is a merc mark 20.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Pretty cool old Zephyr there. I don't think you'll get hurt by paying the price for it. It looks to be in nice, unrestored condition. If you clean it up, it will look really nice. 1949 was kind of a one hit wonder year. It is the only model year Zehpyr that is 360 degree turnable. All previous years were not. If you can get the stand with that motor, then that there would be worth a few bucks out out the investment, itself. :D

I've restored two Zephyrs myself. A 1946 and a 47. Both 4404 models. The carbs are finicky, but mine both ran pretty well.:cool:

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on a great little motor, and as said above, the 4429 is different than all the other early Zephyrs, in my opinion it's the best of the lot. This engine is much maligned, but in reality it a very cool vertically opposed 4 cylinder, rotary valve induction 2-stroke cycle engine of 5.4 hp. One thing you will find is they dont pump water real fast at idle, especially in a test tank, but on the water when running they do fine.

My starting proceedure follows the decal on the front: turn fuel petcock on, rotate knob to choke, push primer a couple times, turn handle and magneto lever to start, and pull the rope. Mine starts every time. I would not sell mine for less than $250.00 because it runs so well, if that means anything to you. 4429 is a 1949 year model.

Attachments

• mercrudeneptune.jpg
    mercrudeneptune.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0