Need help I have a1985 evinrude 70 tach not working

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice
Just installed a new rectifier and I think it is now charging I thought that the tach not working wabecause the rectifier was not installed put it in and no dice. I hope some one has an idea and is there a test I can do to check if the battery is really charging all I did was hook up my ohm meter and see if it went up and it did but there has to be a more clear cut test than that

D

DJ

Re: Need help I have a1985 evinrude 70 tach not working

An Ohm meter will tell you nothing as far as charging goes.

You need a volt meter.

Take a base test reading of the battery without the engine running.

Start the engine and compare the two readings. The engine running reading should be significantly higher.

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice
Need help I have a1985 evinrude 70 tach not working

Just installed a new rectifier and I think it is now charging I thought that the tach not working was because the rectifier was not installed put it in and no dice. I hope some one has an idea. Is there a test I can do to check if the battery is really charging all I did was hook up my volt meter and see if it went up and it did but there has to be a more clear cut test than that

Art Bernard

Banned

If the tach isn't working, check the wiring to the tach. Should be a grey wire connected at the sense terminal and a ground wire at the ground terminal. Look for loose connection and corrosion. If you put a meter on your batt set to 12v dc and it showed it charging than it's charging, if your not sure test the amps as well. Also check the wiring and connections at the engine for loose/corrosion. Search the ekectrical section of this forum, there are some really good, easy to understand wiring diagrams that mau help you as well.

Art

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

The grey tach feed will go from the tach back to the control box then from the control box to the motor where it will be connected to the yellow/grey wire on the rectifier via a busbar.

Use an amp meter to double check, using just a voltmeter and thinking just because voltage went up can be misleading. How far did it go up? How many volts was it charging at?

D

DJ

Your tach may have the harness that just plugs into the back of the control (gear shift/throttle) box.

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice

The grey tach feed will go from the tach back to the control box then from the control box to the motor where it will be connected to the yellow/grey wire on the rectifier via a busbar.

Use an amp meter to double check, using just a voltmeter and thinking just because voltage went up can be misleading. How far did it go up? How many volts was it charging at?

it went up from 11.7 to 12.9 with the lights and the locator on

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice

looked @ that and there was a 3 pin harness there and i think 1 of the pins where a little off cant run motor till tomorrow dont want to make anyone mad it looks like that harness also goes to the tilt trim gauge

D

DJ

looked @ that and there was a 3 pin harness there and i think 1 of the pins where a little off cant run motor till tomorrow dont want to make anyone mad it looks like that harness also goes to the tilt trim gauge

That's the one!

Sixmark

that plug will serve a tilt/trim gauge, tach, and also 12v power for dash lights, etc.

Not every boat/motor combo uses all 3 holes in the plug, the good thing is that the grey wire that comes out of that plug is the one I was referring to earlier

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice

oops i ment volt meter it was 11.7 befor starting and 12.7 right after and kept going up

Sixmark

DJ, do ya just want to string this together with his other thread about the same issue so we can keep it all together, no missing parts that way?

D

DJ

Didn't catch that. Thanks.

sparkyclass1

Seaman Apprentice

still no go that harness wasnt the problem maybe the tach is just bad :facepalm: