1957 Evinrude Fuel Tank

Rudes

Cadet
Hello Folks,

My dad bought this motor new back in 57 and it was only used a few times. I would like to start using it and being that it's 50 + years old, I thought it would be a good idea to replace ignition parts and clean carb. I have replaced the cracked ignition coils, points etc. I also pulled the carb apart and cleaned everything. I purchased a new dual line hose for my fuel tank and now see there are hazard postings on websites concerning these pressurized tanks. While I have this motor apart should I do the conversion or is it a bunch of bs? Has anyone actually heard of a tank exploding?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fuel Tank

There are so many guys running the vintage tanks still. Myself included.

I have never personally heard of anything happening. Just ensure that it is not rusted through. While you are at it, you may want to replace the diaphragm and gasket for the tank. Check ebay for a rebuild kit.

That being said, you can install the fuel pump kit for likely less than you will spend restoring the tank. Personal choice there. Either way, both methods work.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fuel Tank

I've never had a problem with a pressure tank in over 50 years of running old motors. And it eliminates another part to go wrong - the fuel pump. I wouldn't hesitate to use the tank if it's in good shape. You can release the tank pressure when you're done running the motor for peace of mind if you wish. The pressure is not that high - only 7-8 psi. I believe.