1981 4hp Evinrude spark problems smoke from magneto?

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1981 Evinrude 4hp that was running, albeit not really well.

I discovered that the water pickup tube was plugged, and proceeded to tear down the lower end below the powerhead to clear the coolant passages. After four broken bolts, alot of new gaskets, and new parts, (thanks to the broken bolts), I put the motor back together and tried to start.

I have no spark to my top cylinder, and small plumes of smoke coming from the magneto. Did I fry a coil somehow? I did use a lot of carb cleaner cleaning the powerhead, some of whick may have dripped onto the magneto. What to check next?

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1981 4hp Evinrude spark problems smoke from magneto?

Sounds like a fried coil, possibly shorted by the carb cleaner. Only way to find out is to pull the flywheel....

<<)))(((>>

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And I thought carb cleaner was my friend....

I will pull the flywheel and let you know. :)

Rick.

Captain

Carb. cleaner is your carbs. friend. Paint thinner and a rag is a better way to clean up your motor. Did the motor start for you. They will run remarkably well on just one cylinder. They just lack power on one only. Regardless, smoke isn't normal from there and you're right to investigate it. Best of luck.

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the flywheel, and it turns out the "smoke" I was seeing was not smoke, but powdered rust wisping out from the recoil when I pulled the cord. But I still have no spark to the top cylinder, so i ordered a coil, and will replace the coil and go from there.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

also put new spark plug wire and set points at 0.02"