1960 75 johnson v4 coil, points, and condenser

s25293

Recruit
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to buy an aftermarket coil for this engine (V4S-12) because I have been told that the part is obsolete by the dealer and that they couldn't find aftermarket ones in the past. I was also told that the points and condenser were obsolete but aftermarket ones were available but I haven't been able to locate any. I am just looking for information on these parts and advice on how common an issue having ignition problems is for this motor. thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 75 johnson v4 coil, points, and condenser

iboats sells Sierra Marine parts. points are part number 18-5157 (takes two sets). Condenser is 18-5200 (takes one). Tune-up kit (two points and one condenser) is 18-5001

EDIT: Removing my previous comment about the coil. Sorry, the car coil didn't begin till 1961. Your motor takes a coil part number 580243, available from your dealer OR www.marineengine.com They have three of them in stock. Only $196.64 each. How much did you pay for the motor??

s25293

Recruit

I paid $500 for the motor and it did run for a minute or two but wasnt pumping water and I changed the impeller and then it sat for about two weeks and now it just doesnt seem to want to fire.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, I guess I don't have to tell you, don't just assume something is bad (coil). Replacing good parts gets real expensive, very quickly. Maybe your coil is bad, maybe it isn't.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, Clean the points and change the condenser. Maybe spark will return. Check the coil for cracks in the outer plastic. If you don't see any, that is a good sign.

If that is the magneto ign motor, it could be converted to a 1960s automotive-type ign. I ended up doing that conversion on my '58 fat-fifty, because I was shocked at the cost of the coil. If it is a battery-driven ignition, I would think the conversion could still be done.

You might try Trixie's for parts for that motor. They had lots of used parts for that vintage.

Gunloader

Cadet

i have that exact same motor and i found new coil on ebay with the part number 580243 i found one for seventy five but he will sell it lower also this part is retails at 190.00 what i have done is found part numbers and then go to ebay and put numbers in you want a good deal that might be the cheapest way to get new parts

I bought a Johnson 60hp motor, a boat and a trailer for $250, the guy said he replaced the coil and it didn't work. Needless to say, he took the coil he bought back off it. So I need a new coil too, the one he left on it is cracked. Wondered what you found and where, thanks!

Gunloader

Cadet

well i went on ebay typed in johns out board coil with the part number 580243 you can find original parts for them the seller was prompt and fast shipping he is the seller that has 85 dollars or best offer if you like a good deal offer around 50 and just add five bucks til he takes the offer so i think i got mine for 65 with shipping i think you can do this with most parts and it is a good tool to find part number well good luck you are going to need a good deal to be able to pay for the gas for that motor it will use 7-8 gallons of gas an hour anyhow good luck
mike

jsalvia

Recruit

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to buy an aftermarket coil for this engine (V4S-12) because I have been told that the part is obsolete by the dealer and that they couldn't find aftermarket ones in the past. I was also told that the points and condenser were obsolete but aftermarket ones were available but I haven't been able to locate any. I am just looking for information on these parts and advice on how common an issue having ignition problems is for this motor. thanks

i have the same motor for sale if interested. i am in dover delaware. joe
732-267-1188