1966 Evinrude 40HP Carburetor problems after rebuilt with new kit

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First time this year possible to go boating and fishing with my nice classic boat and unfortunally it FAILED.:mad::mad:. 2-3 weeks ago I've run my motor in a big barrel to check if everything seemed to be ok and it did. Just had to replace a fuel pump filter cork gasket because it was leaking out while priming the gas line bulb.

I get at the lake today, engines starts pretty fast but stalls fast also. Ok it's cool out so I re-try leaving the choke a little longer. Nothing to do it still stalls choke on or not.

What I could see is that it's way to rich, I've seen full of gas at the surface of the water. I got it running a low speed a little while but rough. I've disconnected the fuel line and once it had less gas it finally ran good but ance it ran out of gas it stopped again.

What could be the problem?, I have a service manual of this specific o/b and it's not the first carb that I rebuilt? It has a new float also. The carb did soak in carburetor cleaner for a few days before re-assemble.

Thanks for helping me

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1966 Evinrude 40HP Carburetor problems after rebuilt with new kit

Sounds like you just flooded it. You said you unhooked the fuel and it ran fine until it ran out of gas. When you hooked the fuel line up again did it start? Did you set the float level when turned upside down?

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do you set a float valve? I primed the bulb untill it got hard like other O/B I own.

fireman57

Captain

When you rebuilt your carb you need to have the float set to were it sits level when you turn the carb upside down. That way it seats properly when you turn it over an install it.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are the high and low speed needles adjusted correctly? Low speed should be backed out 1 1/2 turns and the high speed should be backed out 3/4 of a turn. Is the fuel pump working?

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the high and low speed needles adjusted correctly? Low speed should be backed out 1 1/2 turns and the high speed should be backed out 3/4 of a turn. Is the fuel pump working?

The low speed was rough even if I tryed adjusting it. When you say about adjusting the high speed, is it the orifice at the bottom of the bowl? With vibrations wont it get loose if turned back ? turn?

I'm sure once it will be repaired it will run a little better than it did last year!