what is this red looking valve on my 87 v4 90hp?

93civEJ1

Seaman
So, i changed the plugs on my new to me motor earlier from a set of ones that the guy said were fouled...put the water muff on, and tried cranking...the motor would crank, and start with me pushing in on the key and the neutral idle all the way up, but as soon as I let go, the motor would shut off. We ended up speaking to a buddy of my dad, and he fooled with this valve on the top back side of the motor that turns (its a red triangle looking valve) and looks like it has fuel lines and electrical wires....when he turned this, the motor fired right up and idled on its own....when he would turn it back the other way, the motor would die. What is this valve? it has a picture next to it showing an arrowing turning it, but im not sure what this does?? thoughts??

93civEJ1

Seaman
Re: what is this red looking valve on my 87 v4 90hp?

ok...so with researching it sounds like something called a primer solenoid?? why would turning it to the outside of the motor cause the motor to idle fine on its own, but turning it in toward the motor causes it to not want to run?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The red lever is the manual override for the primer solenoid. By holding the key in you were doing the same thing as moving the lever and you were bypassing the carbs. Sounds like you got some gummed up carbs.

93civEJ1

Seaman

so what is recommended? thats odd...if it were doing the same thing, it seems like it would run if I kept the key held in right? It would run a sec with the key held in, but would die eventually (even with it held in). Also...does anyone have any idea what a knob in the throttle area might be? I just have a knob on my console / throttle area with no writing or nothing on it...its right next to my kill leash, and below my neutral throttle lever on the console area...not sure what that little knob does...I didnt notice it doing anything when turning it though.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the carbs are varnished it may not stall
from choking it, it needs the gas.
Running with lever rotated is choke on.
Little black knob sounds like throttle friction adjustment?
Recommendation, clean carbs, replace fuel filters,
and check for water in gas.:)

James R

Commander

Time to clean the carbs.
The choke or in this case the enrichment valve allows fuel to bypass the carbs and puts fuel directly into the throats thereby allowing the motor to run. In addition you could have a bad valve as indicated by the motor not running with the switch held in and only running in manual position.

93civEJ1

Seaman

so, is cleaning the carbs pretty easy? does pressing in on the key regulate that valve or something?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't do anything. Set the knob where the engine runs. That's the correct setting. This knob is used ONLY in the event you end up with a dead battery and need to rope start the engine. With a dead battery the primer solenoid would not operate so you would pull your arm off without the engine starting. Flipping the lever AND squeezing the primer bulb a couple times PRIMES the engine and it will not rope start. The reason the engine won't run with the lever flipped to the MANUAL position is because it is being flooded with too much fuel -- not because the carbs need rebuilding.

93civEJ1

Seaman

Thanks. that's very helpful. which way is which? point out away from the engine and pointing toward the engine. the little knob is triangle shaped and red. do these motors have a rope? I haven't noticed one???

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

straight down on mine,or fartherest clockwise, no you provide the rope.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

johnson 001.jpgjohnson 002.jpgrun according to my owners manual,not service manual. i think silvertip meant with arm /level moved to manual you will be able to pull start. this is supposed to adjusted or moved, only when engine is needing to be pull started. but I would like to know why there is a scrader valve in it,under cap? hope pictures help

93civEJ1

Seaman

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/007943.html

I found this link above....counter clockwise / clockwise (up and down) could also depend on how you are facing the motor when describing...I guess im just curious which way is primer off and which way is on.

The picture on the motor itself doesnt really show which way is run (i guess manual prime off), and which way is prime on. If standing on the side of the motor with the primer switch, (which would be on the right side, with prop facing you) should the lever be pointing away from you (toward the flywheel of motor), or toward you away from engine?

93civEJ1

Seaman

found this....http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?291133-Evinrude-not-running-the-greatest

this helps alot...so now, with the lever over top of the solenoid the motor doesnt want to start...it will crank, and run for a second priming and cranking with the key, but as soon as I left off, it wants to die....and sometimes dies on its own..

if we opened the solenoid (with the lever facing away from the solenoid - manual open)...it would crank right up and idle on its own)

what does this mean? where should I look next??

93civEJ1

Seaman

alright...I think im going to take the carbs off, get carb kit for them, clean and reinstall and see what happens. Is this a pretty easy job? I have a manual I downloaded online....im pretty mechanically inclined, so I dont think this will be too big of a deal. Things I should look for when i do it? This will be this weeks project for me.

93civEJ1

Seaman

bump up for things to look for when I do this carb job? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James R

Commander

Go to the auto parts store and get a gallon can of Carb and Parts cleaner. There is a little basket in there for small parts.
Strip the carbs and put them in the carb cleaner. Soak for half an hour, remove and check for any muck still in the carb and jets. Re soak if needed. Wash off with fresh water and blow dry using compressed air. I think your carbs have the screens over the breather holes. Don't use too much air pressure or you will loose them. Do each carb separately to avoid mixing parts. Replace the needles and seats and all gaskets. Be sure to set the float heights correctly. Replace the hose ties with the correct ties. Do not use wire/cable ties or hose clamps. Good idea to replace the hoses with the latest hose material to minimize the effects of Ethanol on the hoses.
Good luck.