1988 Evinrude 60hp Tach wire

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tach doesn't work, and I was wondering which wire from the motor is the tach wire(s). What is it connected to on the motor, the power pack? My service manual won't be here until next week. Thanks.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1988 Evinrude 60hp Tach wire

Normally a gray wire coming from the retifier.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you don't have a tiller motor, then you can go from the gray wire on the control box, it it's not the connection on the tach then you will want to test the rectifier, because a bad rectifier can cause your tach not to work.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's an E60TLCCR. I'll go out and look now. Thanks.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The grey wire starts at the wire connector strip on the starboard side of the motor, into the harness, harness from the motor to the console and it is hooked up to the tach. On the connector strip, it appears not to be connected to anything else unless there's a jumper strip to the next connector. The next connector is one of the yellow wires to the rectifier. The rectifier has 2 yellow wires and a red one. I guess it could be bad, I think you test it with an ohm meter somehow. Should I connect the grey to one of the yellow wires from the rectifier???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The jumper strip is usually very shiney metal and easy to see. If it's not there put the gray wire on one of the yellow wires and see if the tach works.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The jumper stri is there. All the wiring checks OK, and the rectifier is OK. Guess the tach is just broke. Thanks for all your help and ideas.