Evinrude 60 hp 1970 distributor problem!

drdave327

Recruit
I would like to ask if anyone knows how the distributor works on this evinrude 60? I have spark from the coil but when I connect the wire to the distributor no spark at the plug. Points are gapped, or the coil would not fire. Actually I went through a lot to get this far. The carbs cleaned, the wiring fixed to get the amplifier working, then get a spark from the coil, then set the points, and someone had the antireverse spring in wrong... of coarse no spark till I figured how that worked to short out when going in reverse only. I just don't understand how a distributor can work with no moving parts. All I have done is without a book... It's for a friend with little money. Thank you for reading this.
Dr.dave

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 60 hp 1970 distributor problem!

Does it have a rotor under the dist cap ??

drdave327

Recruit

Yes the rotor is installed... I did find the problem. I made a remote start switch so I could see the other side of the engine while cranking. It was arching to the flywheel where I couldn't see it while using the key start. I replaced the boot on the coil out wire and the dang thing started and idled without a miss after about 30 seconds. WOOO HOOO!!! Thank you... now to tackle the charging system. What a mess this was all through it.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

hi, i have eliminated all the maintenance that goes with the 60hp pionts system by converting to & fitted a 1977 coil ,timer base & sensor & the flywheel from a 70hp plus the complete wireing harness , it works perfectly just a few modifications ,

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That list should include a power pack too?? Thanks for sharing.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have a 60hp ,bought it for 100dlrs , powerhead verygood condition, the first thing i checked was for spark , had no spark , then i ,striped everything under the flywheel & have an old 70 hp & started fitting all the 70hp parts on with afew modifications , and now i have all the spark i need & no more maintenance to the distributor as far as pionts go ,cause the 70 is a timerbase & sensor, will put pictures on the site when finished ,