Carb cleaner for plastic carb.

Matty8393

Recruit
I have been trying to find a carb cleaner/ip to use for my carbs and am not having much luck finding one. I have looked through the forums here as well. Any suggestions? My motor is a J200STLCDR and has the 6 plastic carbs. All of the cleaners/dips I have been able to find are not recommended for plastic. Thanks for any help.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Carb cleaner for plastic carb.

They have to be taken apart and rebuilt using the carb rebuild kits, certain parts have to be replaced , theres no problem spraying carb cleaner thru the jets , just don't leave plastic parts sitting in a bowl of cleaner.
Spraying cleaner into the throat does nothing for the fuel passages.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used BPR engine tuner which you can purchase by the gallon at any Evinrude dlr. It works good on plastic parts and if you forget they're soaking it won't hurt them.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Varsol for plastic. Don't leave it in for too long. I did not have any problems with mine when I did it. Just a used butter container and varsol. Leave them in for 5 minutes, scrub, redip and ablow them out. Make sure you get some small round brushes and a old tooth brush for scrubbing.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forgot to mention, some carb cleaners melt plastic. Don't know which ones so be safe.

daselbee

Commander

Varsol for plastic. Don't leave it in for too long. I did not have any problems with mine when I did it. Just a used butter container and varsol. Leave them in for 5 minutes, scrub, redip and ablow them out. Make sure you get some small round brushes and a old tooth brush for scrubbing.

JK....man, I asked for Varsol down here in FLA, and they looked at me like I was from another planet.
Where are you getting it?

Matty8393

Recruit

Thanks all. looks like Boobie is on it with the BPR that won't harm plastic parts. I would like for them to have a good soak to get to where I can't get with a spray cleaner.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JK....man, I asked for Varsol down here in FLA, and they looked at me like I was from another planet.
Where are you getting it?

They sell Varsol at my local Canadian Tire store. Also is sold at home depot, or hardware store. Just ask for it if it is not in the paint aisle.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Boobie, for plastic carbs the BRP Engine Tuner.