'60 Johnson 80 - Water in 2 Cylinders - Hours for repair?

NYCruisers

Cadet
I have a '66 Johnson 80HP, holds 100+ on all four, has a new carb, new lower unit, new harness, but now that she's up and running she gets water in two cylinders. Her history is of meticulous care, but the previous owner passed a few years ago, so in what state he left her is unknown.

We got her up and running but she gets water in two cylinders on the same side. I intend to have her repaired (I will not be doing this work, because for the time being I can't) and would like advice before I obtain an estimate:

Assuming I order the parts (so this is labor only), how many hours would one expect to:

Change the exhaust gasket
Change the head gasket

Also, what is a reasonable rate if I need to machine each?

Finally, since the motor seems to be in fine shape otherwise, is it worth it? A new or good used is quite a bit for me, so I'm reluctant to buy a motor and install.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '60 Johnson 80 - Water in 2 Cylinders - Hours for repair?

Water in two cylinders on the same bank translates to a failed head gasket between the cylinders. Easy job, do it yourself.

Remove cylinder head, if bolts are extremely tight, use a hand held propane torch to heat aluminum surrounding the bolt to help free it.

Carefully clean the selaing surface of the block and head.

Install the new gasket, then tighten the bolts to 18 to 20 foot pounds in the following sequence.

Leave the exhaust gaskets alone unless absolutely necessary.

NYCruisers

Cadet

Thanks, Joe. That'll be the first job which I am perfectly comfortable doing myself.

I'll assume by your statement that the exhaust gaskets are much more of a P.I.T.A., but in the event they are absolutely necessary, what's a ballpark for the hours involved with changing them?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Exhaust baffle plate gaskets..... If all goes well, a couple hours. Have one bolt break = hours unknown!

NYCruisers

Cadet

Thanks again, Joe.

With care and the propane torch on the head bolts, what are the chances, statistically I suppose, of one or more snapping? When I order the gasket should I just go ahead and order more bolts or are they generally not considered a problem?

The reason I ask is I have zero parts near me, everything has to be ordered and shipped, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and order what I think I'll need once, otherwise this will take forever. Weather's getting nice!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is the model number? I find no 80Hp in 1960. The 1960 75HP is V4S-12.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

JB is correct of course NY. Head bolts are generally not a problem BUT I strongly suggest holding off with the parts purchase until you get that cylinder head off. One never knows what additional problems may lay lurking..... corroded away cylinder sealing surface, that sort of thing. Hopefully not in your case BUT it's best to wait.

NYCruisers

Cadet
Re:['66] Johnson 80 - Water in 2 Cylinders - Hours for repair?

Re:['66] Johnson 80 - Water in 2 Cylinders - Hours for repair?

Forgive me, JB and Joe; the boat is 1960, the motor is 1966 [edited thread title].

Judging by the sound of it I put a bit to much faith in the compression numbers, hitting 100+ on all four, and she runs good until the water plays it's hand. From what I understood the compression's the benchmark for good outboard health, plus my enthusiasm is getting the better of me. I'm a newbie (to outboards, not motors), so my fault.

As you suggest, I will remove the head and have it looked at, then get the parts if the cause of water is evident in the gasket.

NYCruisers

Cadet
Re: ['66] Johnson 80 - Water in 2 Cylinders - Hours for repair?

As an update, the head gasket was blown, top and bottom. Bolts came out fine, a new head gasket is on order. With two solid weeks of rain in the forecast I'm in no hurry.

While I was in there I did check out the cylinder walls, and there is a band of wear on both cylinders, about 1.5" wide along the path of the exhaust ports. Enough to feel with your fingertip, but not enough to catch a fingernail on. I see other posts on that topic, so I won't re-open it here. Looks like I'll get another season out of her, but suspect I should start saving for a new motor because no one here will touch rebuilding the powerhead and I don't think it's something I should attempt, although I have time to consider it.

Thanks for the insights, guys!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind the bolt torque specifications and the tightening sequence I listed in a previous reply above. If the gasket you receive has a shinny appearance to it with an obvious coating, it will be a self sealing gasket.... apply no sealer. If it is just a regular gasket, coat it with oil only.

NYCruisers

Cadet

Thanks, Joe. Good info. I'll look into the gasket when it arrives and have the torque sequence/specs at hand.