2005 Johnson 150 ... HEEEELPPPP!!!!!!

jakub1979

Recruit
My 2005 Johnson 150 is giving me fits. When I first launch, everything is great. It idles fine, takes off fine, runs fine. But once I have ran it and it gets up to good temp and I shut down to fish, it keeps dying when I start it back up, then I get it running and it dies when I put it in gear. The only thing I can do is get in the throttle and idle it up a little and put it in gear to take off. I don't mean a lot, just enough to keep it running. Now once it is going, it runs like a champ. Does this sound like an adjustment issue or the TPS? Thanks for any advice offered. Also, the bulb was losing pressure so I changed it thinking the check valve might be leaking back but the new one does the same thing. So I looked for ANY sign of a leak. Removed the cowl and found no leakage from carburators or lines, no fuel in bilge, no shean on water, and no fuel at transom.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2005 Johnson 150 ... HEEEELPPPP!!!!!!

When you say the bulb was losing pressure, do you mean it was collapsing?

jakub1979

Recruit

No, it's not collapsing. But I can pump it 4 - 5 times before it feels firm.

jonesg

Admiral

It might be draining back to the tank and losing prime.
I position mine so the arrow point in the direction of flow to the engine and vertical toward the sky.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah the check valve inside usually works better in a vertical position, but I doubt that's the problem here.

jakub1979

Recruit

Thanks. I thought that might be the problem originally so I installed a new bulb but it still gets soft. It has to be losing pressure somewhere but it is NOT obvious as to where. The arrow is in the correct direction. I will try to turn it upwards. But even after I pump it up and make sure the carbs and bowl are full, it still wants to shut down. As if it is choking out or starving ... I dunno.

tisonia

Recruit

I am having the same issue with my 2000 150hp. When it is cold it will fire right up and idle fine. It runs great at WOT, and idles fine when I first back it down. But if I let it sit for an hour or so I can't keep it idling at all. If I work the throttle a little eventually I can get it back on plane and it will run fine until I back it down to idle again. I took it to mechanic who determined it was vapor lock, he ran it in the river for a couple of minutes and put it back on the trailer and proclaimed it fixed. My next time out I had the same problem under the same circumstances. Don't know what to do next, except take it back to the mechanic and see if he can figure it out.

Maxifish

Recruit

I also have a 2005 Johnson 150 HP engine that has the EXACT same symptions as those described in the original post. Seems like more than a coincidence that the same engine model and year have the same problem. I took it to my local mechanic to have it serviced and spent a bunch of money with no results. I would be very interested in hearing if anyone with similar problems were successful in correcting it. I will report out if I have any luck.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Just a thought. Could the needle and seat be leaking under pressure and when you shut it off warm, some fuel bypasses and floods the carbs? When you get it started at high idle it cleans itself out?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

jakub, only the Ficht mtrs had a TPS.

moonie

Cadet

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same issue with a pair of 2001 150s on my boat and I haven't found a solution....