1962 Evinrude Lark IV 40HP Rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Motor is ALIVE!!!!! 1962 Evinrude Lark 40 HP. After 4 Years of sitting she is Alive Again. My B.I.L and I worked all weekend on her...replaceD both coils, points, condensers, replaced some rat chewed wires, Rebuilt the Carb, replaced the impeller, resealed the lower unit, rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced all the water hoses for the automatic choke, replaced all the fuel lines, put in new spark plug wires and plugs. Here's some pics

All new Electricals

Impellar was not to bad but it got a new one any way

Carb kit all layed out and ready to go

All Done!! Looks like a New One. MFG. in Manual said "OWN"

Lower Unit Seals coming out!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Evinrude Lark IV 40HP Rebuild

Main Drive shaft was scoured but cleaned up pretty good so seals and impeller should be fine.

Topside ALL back together!!!

New Plugs and Wires

We Buttuned her all up, Stuck her in a barrel of water, hit the starter twice and she fired right up!!! Runs like a top! When I get her on the water I'll fine tune the fast and low idle and she'll be good as new. Total Parts to refresh her was $276.00 Total time 14 Hours. No major issues. All the GREAT posts here on iBoats, the schematics and descriptions in the manual I received from a fellow iBoater were spot on and my B.I.L. being a 40 yr mechanic made it a walk in the park to bring her back to life.:p

I think she looks pretty good for a 49 year old!!! I plan on cleaning her and giving her a fresh coat of Moeller Evinrude GunMetal Gray paint and then she'll look like a NEW one!!!!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

NICE! I can appreciate the amount of work there is in a re-build like that. And it's great to see an old motor purr again!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks!!!
Yep, I'm a bit of a purist and I like to keep it all original whenever I can.

Power_Lord

Recruit

Hi im looking to do the same rebuild on my lark IV and was wondering where you got your parts from im not having a easy time finding parts

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

All of the common tune up items are available here at iboats.

Power_Lord

Recruit

that is my main issue cause i would like to do a full rebuild with nothing left untouched
i rebuild classic cars to original showroom quality and that's what i would like to do to this motor
not only would i like it to run again but i want it to run and look like its still 1962
but for that i need parts like pistons, head, crank and other moving parts that break down over time and from running

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Most of the major cast parts are not available new. There is a list of salvage yards in the "Top Secret Thread" at the top of the forum.