1976 johnson 75 stinger

riddle

Cadet
MOTOR WAS RUNNING FINE ABOUT 3/4 THROTTLE ACTED LIKE IT WAS RUNNING OUT OF GAS. LIMPED BACK TO DOCK NO POWER SMELLED GASY. i CAN START IT WITH WARM UP LEVER RUNS FINE BUT WONT'T IDLE OR GO IN GEAR KILLS LOTS OF GAS EXHAUST HOLES ARE BLACK AND EXCESS GAS IN MOTOR AREA PLEASE HELP IS IT ELECTRICAL OR CARB REPLACED PLUGS STARTED UP GREAT DID THE SAME THING SEEMS LIKE ITS FLOODING OR NOT BURNING THE FUEL. PLEASE ANYONE

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 johnson 75 stinger

Remove spark plugs. Check compression... what are the readings?

Plugs still removed.... check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a stong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Remove carburetor face plate... pump fuel primer bulb while observing carburetors. If fuel flows from carburetors, clean and rework them as needed.

Locate the fuel pump pressure hose that leads from the fuel pump to the crankcase. Remove it from either the crankcase or the fuel pump. Pump the fuel primer bulb up hard. If any fuel flows from the fuel pump end of that hose, replace the fuel pump.

Don't type IN ALL CAPS as that's hard to read and is considered shouting. Let us know what you find.

riddle

Cadet

Sorry didn't know that I will try your suggestions and let you know

riddle

Cadet

Thanks a million Joe I have a great spark and no fuel to carbs when I removed the outlet side of the pump and pumped primer bulb lots of fuel. It looks as if a fuel pump kit is in order. did not have a compression tester motor ran like a top. Thanks again

riddle

Cadet

Joe you have been so helpfull cleaned up fuel pump all runs well I did notice that the bottom carb seems like it is geeting plenty of gas spits a little rest run dry. Is there any adjustment to that. Again thanks

riddle

Cadet

Got out on the water motor flooded and died again I noticed fuel spitting out of the #3 carb. So I decided to do a kit. As i removed the carb I remembered a post here on a gut having a similar problem and he found a screw in the reed valve guess what I did too. Put things back together runs like a top in the water had a good nite fishing. I figure we both must have had the same mechanic along the line isn't this crazy. Thanks so much to this forum I probally would have done the carbs and had the same problem.