1963 Johnson V4AL 15E 75hp remote electric throttle control (thrust problems)

Ive cleaned, tuned, and repaired just about everything on this engine. Its idling well and starts up very easily every time. Now its shifting into forward, neutral, and reverse as it is suppose to but as the engine idles up in forward or reverse the propeller isn't speeding up very much. To the eye the propeller looks like it is moving pretty quick but in the water the boat is not being thrust in either direction. Hopefully this is the last problem to fix before i can enjoy my summer on the lake. Thanks For suggestions and help

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Johnson V4AL 15E 75hp remote electric throttle control (thrust problems)

Have you checked the prop to ensure that it is not spun?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Johnson V4AL 15E 75hp remote electric throttle control (thrust problems)

There are only two things that can slip on that motor. The propeller hub and the clutches. Or, of course the propeller drive pin---duh. You better hope it is the prop hub. Make a mark on the plastic prop cone and another mark on the propeller, aligned with the first one. Then run the motor till the suspected slippage occurs. Stop the motor and check the marks. If they are no longer aligned, the hub slipped. The cure is to replace the propeller.

If it is not the prop hub, and your clutches are slipping, a thorough checkout of the system is necessary, starting with the gearcase oil, then the electrical system.

i found the problem. The rod that goes through the propeller through the shaft was broke

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well that is good news indeed. Best case scenario for you.