Converting motor from cable & pulley steering to rotary

byoc21

Cadet
I have a late 60s 33hp seahorse and it is meant for the older cable steering system. I have rotary on my boat and no way to attach it to the motor where it will get the full range of motion. Can someone explain to me what I need (I'm clueless) or link me to a conversion kit or adapter? attached is a picture

Attachments

• 042411164817.jpg
    042411164817.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 3

yorab

Ensign
Re: Converting motor from cable & pulley steering to rotary

byoc21, did your system have the bracket that mounts to the "carry handle"? The bracket allows for attachment of the pulleys. If so, and if you have a ball and socket type splashwell mount for your cable, you could easily attach a clevis pin to your "carry handle" and then run your existing connector at the end of the steering cable over the clevis pin. If you have this set up, I'll show you what I did. By the way, does that connector at the end of your cable rotate 360 degrees? Here's a pic of the bracket that I'm talking about:

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
  • bracket2.JPG
    bracket2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 6

byoc21

Cadet

It is mounted to the splashwell but there is no bracket, just what is in the picture

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You said at the beginning, you can't get full range of motion. I could have told you that before you ever started. It just isn't possible, especially if you intend to tilt the motor without destroying the steering. The arc / radius at the motor steering connector point is greater than the stroke of the push-pull cable.

byoc21

Cadet

It just isn't possible, especially if you intend to tilt the motor without destroying the steering.

So there is no possible way with this motor other than pulleys?

byoc21

Cadet

Okay, the steering is attached to the transom with a transom support clamp and a support tube. I guess my only problem is finding a way to give it a full range of motion considering the metal bar from the steering is not long enough to do so...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As I said, it isn't going to happen. You could devise a way to move the attachment more toward the steering pivot to shorten the arc, but you will find that the motor won't tilt without interference. So, you say you don't care if it won't tilt. Well, you will care when you hit an underwater object and the motor comes flying up violently. Something is going to break.

Trust me, I worked for years in the dealership trying to make those things work. The best you can hope for is to put up with the reduced steering. Not too much trouble when under way, but try docking that sucker.

byoc21

Cadet

well thanks for the hope