• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

johnson seahorse V4 85hp (1978-80?) tilt trim problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnson seahorse V4 85hp (1978-80?) tilt trim problem

I have replaced the solenoid and the switch and its still not working all the time. I topped up the fluid and it worked for a couple of seconds and then it stops again. i have repeated this a couple of times this arvo and it keeps doing the same thing , it also doesnt matter if i am trying to go up or down. originally the solenoid was stuffed but now this problem is happening. Also what exactly does the sender unit do? thanks to anyone who can help.

Re: johnson seahorse V4 85hp (1978-80?) tilt trim problem

You may have intermittent contact in the electrical system. That's a high amp system which needs a good wiring contacts. 1. Make sure all the wires are tightly connected inside the remote trim box. 2. Make sure none of the wires are frayed, or worn. 3. check to be sure each wire has the proper connector to make good contact. 4. Pull the fuse out of the fuse holder and check for rust, moisture corrosion. 5. You may want to replace that small 20 amp fuse. 6. Make sure the main wires to the battery are clean and tightly clamped to the battery posts. The trim sender between the transom brackets is to run a trim gauge on the dash to indicate relative trim position while you are driving (looking forward.)

Comment

Hot wire the motor directly to battery and see if intermittent problem goes away. If it does then you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere in the terminals, fuses, switches, and sensors. If the motor itself is intermittent then you probably have a spot of internal rust and the problem will never go away without a new or rebuilt motor.

Comment

thanks so much will try these things today and get back to you.

Comment

ok so i cleaned all of the contacts, replaced the fuse and the fuse holder, checked battery contacts. still no luck. when i test the blue and black wires close to the motor i am getting just over 12v when the switch is turned on. and same for the green and black.

Comment

so i hot wired it today and still the same thing so i guess it is the motor playing up. is there an easy way to get this motor off or do i have to take the whole engine from the boat.

Comment

Sounds like sticky brushes in your motor. Of course, they also could be worn out.

Comment

That 3 wire PTT electric motor has a circuit breaker within it, and it appears that it is taking effect.

If that engine does not have the transom brackets cut away so that the PTT unit can be removed from its location, do the following to avoid removing the engine from the boat.

Manually have the engine in the fully raised position. Now, tie it up and support it securely somehow so that it is impossible for it to drop or move to the port (left) side.

Remove the top retaining pin from the center tilt cylinder. Then lower that tilt cylinder plunger rod.

Remove the large nut from the port side of the steering tube. Remove the three bolts from the port side of the port transom bracket that secure it to the PTT unit. Remove the two nuts that retain the transom bracket to the boat (You may need to tap those bolts in and out of the way). Now, slide the port transom bracket sideways a bit. You can now remove the three starboard PTT retaining bolts and remove the PTT unit.
                Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

Working...
                X