Johnson Deluxe 4.0 outboard tiller control?

CShaw

Recruit
I just bought a 12ft jonboat with a Johnson Deluxe 4.0 outboard on it, and the tiller has what I suspect is an electrical switch on the end of the tiller? There is the twist grip for the throttle, and then a smaller rubber covered twist grip, and then a red plastic thing that "looks" like a button right on the end?

I have not started the motor yet, so I thought I would see if I could find out a bit more before starting it. The seller did briefly start it to show me it runs (only ran for 5 sec so the water pump would not be damaged running dry). However, I did not notice the config on the end of the tiller till I got home.

Also, is there a place that has the owner's manual or a shop manual in pdf I can download?

Many thanks!

Chuck

ec125oc

Recruit
Re: Johnson Deluxe 4.0 outboard tiller control?

The button you found is your kill switch. The lever on the side of the motor is your clutch neutral forward and reverse. There should be markers on your throttle handle that will show you which position the throttle should be in when starting the motor. There is a pull switch on the front of the motor that is the choke for starting the motor when it is cold. Rite near that is the fuel port for the gas line unless it is one with an attached fuel tank. Near the clamps you will find either a lever or a pin system that adjusts the tilt of the motor you will need to play with this adjustment to find the rite setting for your boat. You want about 1/3 of the boat to be above the water when you reach your cruising speed. You know its adjusted rite when the boat feels like it is on the water instead of in the water. There should also be another one that will allow you to lift the motor out of the water and lock it in place, its useful when fishing very shallow water or where there are a lot of stumps and weeds. That is a great motor that lasts forever. Have fun with it.

CShaw

Recruit

The button you found is your kill switch. . That is a great motor that lasts forever. Have fun with it.

Thanks for the info!!! I was able to get a kill switch "clip", and also changed out the waterpump and changed the gear grease. The little motor runs like a champ! Now if I can just find those Redfish!!!!!! :)

Chuck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With the year of your motor, look on ebay for factory service manual. Search something like "1989 johnson 4 service manual". Be aware of all the tools on there selling parts catalogs, those aren't what you want. The oem service manuals are awesome!

By the way, I have an '89 Evinrude 4HP Deluxe on a 14'. We love it. Doesn't plane it obviously but even with 3 adults in the boat we can cover a lot of area with that little guy on an outing. Dead reliable too.
Ours: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg