'73 115 Evinrude - Bad ignition switch - Again??

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently replaced the ignition switch. I pulled a few boneheads when I was rewiring it and have had to go back into the control box at least 6 different times now. Here's my problem now, I've got the wiring hooked up what I think is correctly but sometimes when I turn the key to the "on" position, the starter spins!?! I've experimented and sometimes I can turn it to the on position and the starter doesn't spin but I can wiggle the key and when I do it just right the starter will spin!?!?! I'm thinking that I need to replace the switch again, correct?

Second question, can you tell me what the purple wire on the switch goes to? It's on the accessory pole but I really don't have any accessories so I'm wondering if it needs to be connected or not.

Thanks for your help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '73 115 Evinrude - Bad ignition switch - Again??

Purple feeds the choke switch, temperature warning horn, and choke "warm-up" thermal switch (if still connected). Also tachometer, if you have one.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you. What do you think about the ignition switch? Sound like a bad one at this point?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned pulling a few bonehead moves when you installed the switch. Care to elaborate??? If you shorted anything during that process you certainly could have created a problem in the switch. If there is an intermittent connection between the wires on the "S" terminal and "B" terminal that would energize the starter.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, embarrassed to admit it but I switched a wire and immediately shorted it.