Shifting / Lower Unit Troubleshooting - OMC / Johnson / Evinrude

iloveketchup

Seaman
I bought an engine off a guy (crossflow setup). The motor has a '76 135 powerhead on a '78 Mid/Lower.

I got everything running but trying to troubleshoot if the front gears are junk. I've adjusted the shift cable all the way forward and all the way back then tried to turn the prop. When in reverse, i can get resistance. When i go in forward, I've got nothing. Then if i adjust the linkage alllll the way in the other direction, i can get forward, but not reverse. E.G. it doesn't seem like there is enough travel to get both forward AND reverse at the same time.
:facepalm:

Questions :confused::

1:

Is this a clear sign of the forward gears being out?

2:

is a 86 lower unit of a V4 looper fit on this motor? I have a parts motor available that is in decent shape. the gears may be okay.

3:

Is there anything that having a '76 powerhead on this mid/lower going to cause a shift problem in forward? I think pre-78 motors had some differences but I don't know anything about if things that would make this issue.

4:

Control box issues?

edfishing2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shifting / Lower Unit Troubleshooting - OMC / Johnson / Evinrude

Is it possible that the shift lever is mis-adjusted. This rod can be screwed up or down but must be the correct height within 1/32 of an inch. I do not know the correct shift rod height for your engine combination.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Disconnect the cables then shift by hand right on the motor,If it shifts OK there you have a cable problem.

iloveketchup

Seaman

Disconnect the cables then shift by hand right on the motor,If it shifts OK there you have a cable problem.

I did. It can go into forward and reverse. Just not both remotely. I think it is a cable problem. I have too much play in the control lever. Looking at the motor when shifting there is slop going on. I ordered cables (here on iboats) today.