1987 XP200 Evinrude - Cover - Cowling Re-Finish

OldPcGuy

Seaman
Ok... I've been working on this engine for awhile... and it's running better and better... right now I'm removing the carbs (again) to re-clean them, and check ALL the floats for proper setting. And will be checking/replacing fuel/recirc lines next.

Each time I remove the cover, in my mind I see the photo of j_k_bisson's Evinrude he rebuilt. DANG..!! It is nice looking..!!! My engine cover doesn't look 'bad' considering it's age and use... but, I'm eye-ing it up for some cosmetic work.

Maybe this is the wrong part of the forum..?? But, here goes...

My cover has the 'raised' lettering, with 'pins' on it, that has 'clips' holding the "EVINRUDE" emblems in place. Where can I get some clips..?? Any ideas about how to fix broken pins..?? Offhand, I think I'd try using a small screw with washer from the inside of the cowling...(??) How about the 'tape', the XP 200, and the 'top' tape..?? Is all this stuff available..??

Anyone got a link to the 'OEM' colors for this motor..?? And are THEY available..??

Normally, I'm mostly concerned with how a motor runs... and don't mind a motor 'looking it's age'... but, I buffed up the boat, removed every piece of teak, sanded, put on 3 coats of urethane, polished all the SS, and the boat looks pretty spiffy....

And... like I said... looking the the pictures of Jeff's motor....

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1987 XP200 Evinrude - Cover - Cowling Re-Finish

The paints are available at any Evinrude dealer. If they do not have it in stock then you can have them order only a few cans, not the whole case (6cans). If you are doing a hood and its all one colour you will need 2-3 cans plus primer.

As to the lettering you might want to check out ebay for those applique's. I think there is a couple on there. Just make sure of you part numbers first. Enron sports I thinks has some.

If you want to keep the appliques you have I would us the 3m rubber glue (845 1 think). That is what I used to glue the appique to me hood. Send me a PM and I remember to look for the right 3m number tonight. You could us two way tape, I'd go to an outo store and look for exterior molding tape. It should hold up even in salt enviroments. Hell We through tons of salt on the roads up here in MI every year and the stuff does no fall off.

If you gor to Evinrude parts online, and look up you motor, they will list the color chart for you motor. Yours is dark XP blue. Not silver blue or blue.

Depending on what shape yours is in you might need to get into fiber glass work to fix the cracks and dings.

Keep posting progress with pics..... We all love them!

Good luck and ask away.

Duelfuel

Cadet

I was reading the thread and was also looking for some Cowling paint. I looked up the spray paint information here:
http://shop.evinrude.com/products/343542/Paint_-_Spray_Cans

For my motor, I ordered the 78-87 light blue metallic. It matches the chasis perfect.

But my question is, the white spray can that they have listed, is that more for metal chasis or can that be used for the cowling? The white on my little outboard seems more of a cream coloured white...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its called ivory.....