1978 55 hp johnson seahorse

threespot

Recruit
Hey everyone I see lots of great info out here and hope some will be directed this way.. What i have is I just bought a 18 ft national tri hull. Its powered by a 78 55 hp johnson. Compression 140 on both cylinders. Runs smooth , idles and starts good just seems like it needs to get warmed up pretty good before it will idle at idle speed.

Heres my problem. I cant get the boat to palne out. The first day i adjust tilt ( manual tilt) and was able to get it to plane out and run around 17mph. It also took along time to plane out. The next day I could get it to plane out for nothing.. Please help me with this..

Problem #2 The person I bought the boat from had replaced the control cable and I dont believe it adjusted properly. The reason I think this is because if i shift the shifter all the way forward it wont go into reverse. I have to take apart the control box and remove the black plastic plate ball bearing and spring to reset and put back together. It then will shift real nice again until I push it to far forward.

I have had several boats in the past all with mercs. I am not familer with johnsons so I need help.

Also I know i have a fuel leak cause when I squeez the promer bulb it drips and am thinking under load it might be sucking air in.....

Thanks for any help ppl..