1965 Evinrude Sportwin problems: bendix & drive

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 9.5 Evinrude Sportwin from 1965 that I inherited from my Grandfather. Quite frankly it seems to have been a dog since the day he bought it from what I'm told. Anyway, I'm trying to put it back into service after several years and have noticed two problems. One of them is puzzling and the other is probably just a typical broken or worn part issue.

Problem 1: the lower unit jumps out of gear under power. I assume this is the worn/broken part issue. Is this common, and it it easily fixed?

Problem 2: the bendix gear is plastic, and it seems the flywheel is chewing it up badly. It's almost like it's turning backwards against the teeth and wearing them off. I'm on the second one and it's already looking worn and having trouble engaging. What might be causing this? Does someone make a sturdier gear I could swap into it?

Thanks for any info.

mdebar1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 Evinrude Sportwin problems

Re: 1965 Evinrude Sportwin problems

Yes. I just did it. It's not difficult at all, although, there are two things that can make it a pain. First, the flathead screws that attach the lower unit skeg to the upper portion of the lower unit (the skeg holds the dogs) may be frozen if the motor has been in salt - you should soak them in penetrant overnight and use an impact screwdriver (beat with a hammer) to get them out. Second, you should probably install a new spaghetti gasket on the skeg if you take it apart.