1978 johnson 55hp wiring harness

lester44

Cadet
I have been searching for the wiring harness for a 1978 johnson 55hp motor. All of the websites I have came across all say the part is obsolete. I was wondering is there another harness available that will easily hook up to the system already there?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp wiring harness

Which harness are you looking for, the one on the motor itself or the one that plugs into the one on the motor?

lester44

Cadet

yea i have been searching for the one in the motor

mark1961

Ensign

yea i have been searching for the one in the motor

I had to replace the one on my '82 60hp due to cracked insulation and corroded wiring, its probably the same issue you are having, quite common for this to occur on motors of this age so a secondhand one is not really an option unless you get extremely lucky, a NOS on ebay would be another longshot.....if yours is too far gone for a repair, the one thats still available for the '79 would be your best bet at this point....

lester44

Cadet

I guess I should have expected to find this problem. I got the wiring harness all installed in the motor and pull off the remote starter cover and find that the person that had the boat before me has cut some wires and before i try to chase down and re-do the wires i was just going to look at the website i found the other harness to see if i could find the other end that attaches to the key switch but that site says it doesn't carry it. If anybody can help with this problem please let me know.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the 1979 Harness work ?

Im in the same position lol!

Thanks Rob..

Also i know its a long shot since the thread is so old.(Cross Fingers)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Look in the Top Secret File at the begining of this forum and check for salvage yards.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot no doubt ... My harness is like plastic tubes with dust inside ... Im going to see what i can come up with .Now i just need some controls and ill be ready to fire her up..
Look in the Top Secret File at the begining of this forum and check for salvage yards.