1963 Johnson V4AL 15E 75hp remote electric throttle control

Ive got my 63 johnson re-timed. the carbs are clean, points are clean and its runnin. My problem is the red lever on the throttle controls is broke (I have one ordered). my engine is idling fine but when i try to throttle up the engine dies. suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Johnson V4AL 15E 75hp remote electric throttle control

That red lever is simply a lever to increase the idle when first starting.

Having the engine die out when the throttle is applied has always been caused by fouled clogged high speed jets. These jets are located in the bottom portion of the float chamber, in back of the two (2) screws/bolts at the bottom front portion of the carburetor.

I took out my high speed tubes and they are clean. Are the screw/bolts you're talking about the drain plugs on the front bottom? I took thoughs out and there isn't anything on the inside that i can see. Ive been on marineengine.com looking at there carb diagram and i can't find anything labeled a "jet". Also on the back of both my venture and core plug assembly the flat piece of metal has small punctures on the 63' model i have, but no punctures on the 60' model i have. Are any of them suppose to have small punture holes or does that mean they are bad?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry... I don't know what you mean by the venture and core plug assy or the flat piece of metal. If you're speaking of the brass throttle butterflies, some have holes, some do not.

The high speed jets I spoke of is in back of those 7/16" hex head slotted bolts, way back in the carburetor body..... Number 110 on the following graphic (2 of them).

Attachments

• 61_75hp_Carb-1a.jpg
    61_75hp_Carb-1a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

ill check that. The part they label venture and core plug assembly is number 68.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0

i pulled one of the jets out. It looked a little funky around the hole but wasn't clogged. The other one is seized up and broke so im gonna have to get it out with an easy out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You can clean the jets where they are with a piece of single strand steel wire. A easy out will destroy the jet and require replacement.

Your complete page above is too small for me to see #68 but in my book, #68 is listed as a high speed tube. Actually, it's simply a fuel passageway, not a metering jet. The ventui nozzles that attach just above that tube with two screws.... they must be aligned as good as possible to be centered so that it divides the vanes under it in the intake manifold to feed the four cylinders evenly.