Racor fuel filter?

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been having some problems with an '88 60hp evinrude, one of which has been a lean running top cylinder. The filter I installed is rated for 30 gph, could this be too fine for this engine? I put a new primer bulb and all new fuel and fuel lines from tank, to filter, to pump, to carbs.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Racor fuel filter?

Clean the carb to that cylinder. May be blocked. Check for fuel and air leaks. When I find a lean top carb, usually can be attributed to an air leak, as the bubbles go to the highest point. Could also just be plugged up. Clean all your carbs well. Then try again. If you had a fuel restriction from that filter, it would affect all cylinders, not just the one.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, it was late and I was mad at the boat. I neglected to say that I rebuilt all the carbs including new needle, seat, float...where would you suspect said air leak to be coming from? I'll take a look at them again this weekend since I can't actually take the boat fishing!

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you replaced all the fuel lines, it is very possible to have an air leak due to a loose connection. The way to check, is to get a clear piece of tubing that is the same diameter as the fuel line that goes to the carb. Start at the top carb, and work your way to the tank. Run the eninge, and look for air bubbles. Should be solid fuel in the lines, NO BUBBLES. You may need different sizes of clear tubing. This proccess can take a while, but it will help to eliminate any air leaks. Air leaks are possible, even if there is no fuel leaking. Check all connections, Do not assume anything. Once you have eliminated air leaks, we can continue further troubleshooting, including checking fuel pressure.