1977 Evinrude 55hp Relief Valve

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys

still working on my Dad's 1977 Evinrude 55hp. Installing the cylinder head cover and kinda stumped about the relief valve. There is two diffrent ways the valve itself can be installed. Theres a beveled side and a flat side , which is the correct way? Also look at the old red valve, it has a small relief hole in it. Why does the new one not have that hole and what should I do?

Orientation 1
DSC01423.jpg

Orientation 2
DSC01424.jpg

Valve diffrences
DSC01425.jpg

Thanks again,
DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Evinrude 55hp Relief Valve

Well

Figured out the orientation of the valve. Bevel faces the rubber grommet (Seat). Now why does the older red valve have a relief hole in it and why doesn't the new one have one? Which one should I use?

Thanks,
DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone know why these valves are different? And which one to use, I don't want to mess my engine up over something small or have to dig back into this area.

Thanks,
DamianJP

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont know why but is it the right part #0316132.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Dew

Well the Grommet is P/N 316132 yes.
But the Relief Valve is P/N 335493 and is which I ordered from crowleymarine.

Old valve is red w/ relief hole in it.
New one has no relief hole.

Need to find which one to use. And to learn why the hole is there and why they went to a relief valve with no hole.

Thanks again Dew,
DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Well, progress

Finally called a local dealer. After two crappy ones that didn't want to help me with my 1996-prior engine and only wanted to sell me a E-Tec, Iv'e found a nice shop that had a tech help me.

Guy said the reason why the hole was eliminated was because BRP (evinrude) changed the thermostat's opening/closing temps. The newer thermostats make it so the little hole isn't needed. So I'm good to go on using the new relief valve as long as I use the newer thermostat too. I'd figured cause no one knew about this and mabey someone is in the same 'boat' that I would post it for future reference.

Thanks,
DamianJP

TLewis

Cadet

Hi DamianJP

You helped at least one person out ... me :D

I'm rebuilding a 1976 55hp right now. Take a look at the picture of my relief valve.

Your post saved me a couple hours of the same confusion, thanks.

TLewis

Attachments

• Melted_Relief_Valve.JPG
    Melted_Relief_Valve.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 0