1978 Johnson Electric 35hp External Wiring Harness

Phildog170

Recruit
Just bought a 1978 35hp electric start that has the internal wiring harness but did not include the external wiring harness.
Question 1: Is there any plalce I can find one
Question 2: Can I start & stop the engine without the harness?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 Johnson Electric 35hp External Wiring Harness

Heres a link to buy a new one,Kinda spendy,I would start searching ebay for one,You can start the motor but only if you know what wires to cross (hotwire) Ebay is your best bet.
With a keyed switch one can also be made again knowing what wires go to what.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/63236.cfm

78 mckee

Seaman
Re: 1978 Johnson Electric 35hp External Wiring Harness

That '78 internal harness should be equipped with a large black plug to connect the control. If it does, you need an external harness with a black plug. Motors built after 78 or 79 used a red plug on the harnesses and they won't mate with the black ones. You can start the motor easily without the harness but you can't stop the motor easily without some way to short the ignition, which is one of the things that the harness and ignition switch provide. These harnesses are relatively expensive, even used and harnesses with the black plugs are kind of rare to find used. The factory uses these plug-in harnesses to facilitate ease of installation and standardization of controllers that can be used on many different motors. The same thing can be accomplished with the main + - battery cables and a 3 conductor cable to facilitate starter control, choke control, and ignition shorting, but basic electrical knowledge would be required to get that done but it is relatively easy. If you want to find a harness new or used, I'd go to Ebay first. I have seen them there for $100 -$150 but make sure you get the right color plug.