Evinrude 48 HP outboard circuit breaker amps?

MrJimbo

Cadet
I have a 1988 Evinrude 48 hp outboard (E48ESLCCC) and need to know what size/amps circuit breaker to put between the battery and the motor. Help is much appreciated.

Background info: I have had a couple of instances where the motor stalled but the starter kept spinning and I could not turn it off. I removed the key etc. It eventually stopped on its own. I want to put a switch on the starting battery to force it off just in case it did not stop on its own. Since I'm going to add a switch then why not make it a circuit breaker for double duty.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 48 HP outboard circuit breaker amps?

You don't want to know how much a breaker would cost that could carry the starter current. Besides, there is no need for one. If the starter stays engaged, then troubleshoot the problem. Either the ignition switch is bad or the starter solenoid is sticky. Either one will not put a large dent in your wallet. You might want to look at the post just above yours dealing with the same issue. (Boat Wiring Issue). If you feel you need some way to kill power to the engine, install a simple "battery disconnect switch". Its a heavy duty ON-OFF switch. But it costs more than fixing the problem you have.

D

DJ

You don't want to know how much a breaker would cost that could carry the starter current. Besides, there is no need for one. If the starter stays engaged, then troubleshoot the problem. Either the ignition switch is bad or the starter solenoid is sticky. Either one will not put a large dent in your wallet. You might want to look at the post just above yours dealing with the same issue. (Boat Wiring Issue). If you feel you need some way to kill power to the engine, install a simple "battery disconnect switch". Its a heavy duty ON-OFF switch. But it costs more than fixing the problem you have.

Silvertip is spot on. It's the ign. switch or the solenoid. Niether is particularly hard or expensive to replace.

The ign. switch is a bit trickier in terms of getting the RIGHT one and remembering where the wires go.

I do install battery switches on my boats. NOT to solve a problem like yours but a problem of mine-FORGETFULNESS!;)

http://www.iboats.com/Ignition-Prot...66292625--**********.004595864--view_id.39362

MrJimbo

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the input!