1967 33 hp crankshaft seal question

tbwalter

Recruit
Been reading the forums for a while now and have a question I can't seem to find an answer to. I figure someone here will know.

I have recently bought my first boat: a 1980 Mirrocraft 16' Deep Fisherman I am restoring. A friend of mine found me a 1967 Evinrude Ski-Twin 33 hp that was running when it was put away, as well as a 1969 for a parts motor, (he found it under a tarp by the boat the '67 was on) for the grand price of free. The carb needs rebuilding, the wiring was shot, and the foot leaks, but none of that really surprises me given its age and that its been sitting up in a barn since the PO died over a decade ago.

I started rewiring the motor tonight and found what looks like oil residue under the ignition plate, probably blowing through the upper crankshaft seal. The service manual only discusses the seal in the course of a teardown (that I can find). I know on a lot of engines the front seal can be pried out and replaced without opening the crankcase. Can that seal be changed without tearing down the motor? I'd rather not open the engine up if I don't have to.

Thanks

Thomas

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1967 33 hp crankshaft seal question

Don't think I'd try that. Unless there is a gusher of fuel/oil coming out, my suggestion is to "let that dog sleep". You would have to punture the seal, (or drill through it) and that would risk metal shavings getting inside on the crank, or breaking the casting. Bad scenario.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First, make sure it is truly leaking. It could be liquified grease from the armature plate mounting.

There is a special tool that will pull that seal out in less than a minute. If you have an old dealer in your area that may have the tool, by all means pay him a visit.

tbwalter

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. I think "let that dog sleep" is the route I'll take. There are not only no old dealers here, the closest one is in Louisiana, so that's not an option. And I'm sure the special tool is ridiculously expensive if you can find it (never rebuilt an outboard, but have done a few cars and lawnmowers and know what those special tools cost). Gonna say a prayer its just grease and let it go....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

"Let that dog sleep" and keep a good eye on it.

samve

Recruit
I know this is an old thread and I hate to grave dig, but I have the same question. Mine is a slight oil leak, but it's bad enough it's causing problems with a set of points. Tried to locate an electronic ignition conversion kit with no luck. Can I replace this seal without splitting the case?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most " old time " repair shops would have the puller that removes the seal in just minutes when flywheel is off.--Time to call them if there are shops in your area.