Carb Needles in 55 HP 1977 Evinrude

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently broke down on the water, got it home and noticed the bottom carb spitting fuel. Took the carb off and found the needle sticking in the jet, the float would drop, the clip would stretch and the needle would stay in the hole.

After closer inspection of the needle I found the tips to be made of a different material, similar to rubber. Are these the right needles? I replaced the clip with one that seems more rigid, and wiped the needle clean, but it still idles rough.

I'm considering doing the link and sync procedure to verify timing. Also, the motor idles around 1200-1400 in neutral and ~1100 in gear. If I do the link and sync and set/verify timing at Idle will it mess up WOT timing? I ask because I don't have a test wheel/barrel and WOT seems ok.... although I'd like to get more RPMs WOT. Currently 5200 WOT.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb Needles in 55 HP 1977 Evinrude

I found a post stating to disconnect the throttle cable before setting idle, I just adjusted the screw. I guess you must disconnect the throttle cable first, then adjust the idle screw, then adjust the cable to reconnect at the right length...