55 HP Johnson runs but then quits...

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at purchasing a boat with a 55HP Johnson and the guy says that it runs good but then quits...he thinks it is a fuel pump issue and ordered one and is on the way, does this sound like a carb issue?

ronsealdeath

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 55 HP Johnson runs but then quits...

Hi there,

Just to warn you I only have a years experience on outboards myself so take what I say with a pinch of salt! The issue with this motor could be one of many of things.

I have a mid 70's Evinrude 55hp and have had similar problems to those you describe. I rebuilt the fuel pump with a kit from OMC as a first port of call as well as re-building carbs with kits along with full clean of the jets, new fuel lines, new hose clamps and a new fuel tank. I'd suggest an old outboard that runs a bit rough would benefit from these things as part of a normal service anyway so factor those costs in.

In the end our problems extended beyond this to a sheared woodruff key on the crank. Pull the flywheel if possible although this can be a day long job or more from my experience. Our crank and flywheel were badly damaged so our motor is now pretty much scrap but we get by with a heavily tightened flywheel nut and prayers. This is not adviseable by any means and we will probably shear the key any day. We carry a spare 4hp outboard for that day!

We also had a dodgy power pack which may have caused intermittent issues? I don't know but its been replaced now. Timing was also out and was set using Joe Reeves' guide to WOT timing.

Engine runs well now and doesn't quit.

BUT the issues described for your motor could be completely unrelated to my issues, I'm sure one of the experienced guys will be able to help you more than me. When engines warm up they can expose underlying faults with electrics and other things.

Good luck, just offer him the list above and minus it off the asking price!

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guy says that if you keep feeding it fuel by squeezing the bulb it will run a little while longer but still quits...wonder if this is a carb issue?

ronsealdeath

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All pumping the bulb will do is fill your carb bowls with fuel. It it is quitting after this then it sounds like it is probably not your fuel pump. It would take you 10 mins to take the fuel pump apart to check its internal condition.

You may find this is multiple issues rather than one but to be honest you won't know until you troubleshoot it which could take a while! Or get the seller to keep replacing parts until it works again.:)

Save yourself a pain in the backside and get a marine mechanic to look at it before you buy. Local mechanics charge about ?30 to diagnose problems with no charge if they fail to find the problem. Just do that and save buying a lemon like I did.

jbjennings

Captain

"Runs good but quits" can be pretty much translated into "not running". What good are they if they quit? You should be advised that if you don't know how to work on outboards, an old motor can quickly turn into a moneypit if you pay a mechanic to fix it. Old motors can have multiple problems. Some are cheap fixes, others aren't. Paying a mechanic to identify and repair each one can be really expensive. Therefore, make the price you're willing to pay reflect that. A compression test, shift test (if electric or hydroelectric shift), and lower unit oil check would be in order before you spend ANYTHING on it. Most used motors need water pump impellers, carburetor rebuilds, lower unit reseals, wiring repair, fuel line replacement, and possible ignition or charging system component replacement if they're reasonably old. How's your wrenching hand???? :)
JBJ

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guy changed out the fuel pump and it runs and doesn't quit now...the only issue is that in order to keep it running he has to keep the thing chocked! What is the fix for this now? He is going to get a new fuel line from the tank to the motor.

mark1961

Ensign

Guy changed out the fuel pump and it runs and doesn't quit now...the only issue is that in order to keep it running he has to keep the thing chocked! What is the fix for this now? He is going to get a new fuel line from the tank to the motor.

You do not seem to be taking on board the advice given here already.....you need to be sure it will be a worthwhile candidate before throwing money at it, give it a compression test and if that and a few other things mentioned here check out consider it worth your time and money, all depends on the owners asking price though.

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You do not seem to be taking on board the advice given here already.....you need to be sure it will be a worthwhile candidate before throwing money at it, give it a compression test and if that and a few other things mentioned here check out consider it worth your time and money, all depends on the owners asking price though.

Sorry for asking questions...I thought this is what this board is for, I am new and looking for some good answers from folks on here that are considered seasoned veterans...if you didn't like what I was posting then don't post in my thread...pretty simple. As far as advice from you, I received none. I have not seen this boat in person, only pictures and it is in superb condition...the guy that is selling it has chosen to ensure all is well with it before he sells it to me, therefore I do not have the luxury to conduct a compression test or anything else that has been recommended thus far; all I am asking is a simple question and I will ask it again and maybe someone will respond accordingly: What would cause the motor to only continue to run with the choke engaged?

mark1961

Ensign

Sorry for asking questions...I thought this is what this board is for, I am new and looking for some good answers from folks on here that are considered seasoned veterans...if you didn't like what I was posting then don't post in my thread...pretty simple. As far as advice from you, I received none. I have not seen this boat in person, only pictures and it is in superb condition...the guy that is selling it has chosen to ensure all is well with it before he sells it to me, therefore I do not have the luxury to conduct a compression test or anything else that has been recommended thus far; all I am asking is a simple question and I will ask it again and maybe someone will respond accordingly: What would cause the motor to only continue to run with the choke engaged?

Well now, at least i got a response out of you of sorts, more than the other posters here have managed so far.....

I did give you some advice......Read what they are posting! Or you may end up with hole to throw money into......

And, if you cannot compression test it yourself, get the owner to get it done......

Finally, Pics ay? Go look at the thing in the flesh before you part with anything, if this boat is a glasser the motor will not be the only thing that needs to be looked at.....

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would there be an hour meter anywhere on this engine to reflect the time on the engine...something like a Hobbs meter?

Ohio2012

Recruit

I am not too firmilar with the 55HP johnson, but I did read a forum the other day where someone had the exact same problem. He was able to fix it by simply replacing the filter in the bottom of the carb.