'90 J3BRESR Johnson 3hp - Rough running/Impeller questions

I have a 3hp Johnson J3BRESR outboard that came along with the Jon boat I purchased. It was not in a running condition at the time, and I have some questions regarding it. Please forgive me if I am asking extremely common questions, I looked at the threads in the top post, but can't quite find the information I think I am looking for.:redface:

I disassembled the lower unit to replace the impeller, didn't know if it was bad or not, but wanted it replaced. (found to be demolished completely). I purchased the entire water pump kit and have a question regarding the engine's water output.

*Do the impeller fins need to be orientated in a certain direction when installing them? I attempted to judge which way the impeller would be driven, and which way I thought it should move water. It is my first time replacing one and I could easily be wrong.

*As the engine is running, in a tub of water, I get a seep of water where the engine mounts to the rest of the body. Where the "exhaust manifold gasket" resides. The gasket is new, and the bolts are tight.

*I am unsure where the output of water is supposed to be, so I know if I have a gasket problem, or if the port is junked up and needs to be cleaned out?

The engine seems to run pretty decently with some fresh fuel and new spark plugs. It does sound like it is loading up when left at a low speed idle and will eventually stall itself out. Higher rpm seems to hold up better. Also the way my "test stand" is, the engine is at a very slight angle, not completely perpendicular to the water, as if it was slightly "trimmed up". If I rotate the engine a certain degree, the engine loads up and stalls.

*My loading up at low speed idle, and loading/stalling at varying engine angles being caused by an improperly adjusted float? There is plenty of fuel, and the tank vent is open (tank is on the top/built into the engine).

*Is there anywhere online I can find the float specifications? Or is locating a manual a must? (haven't had much luck)

Thank you!:redface::redface:

Re: '90 J3BRESR Johnson 3hp - Rough running/Impeller questions

Also, there is one piece broken off the fuel bowl. From the online parts descriptions it look like it is a fuel shut-off valve. Which I assume mechanically stops the flow from the tank to the bowl when the linkage is set to the "stop" position. The inlet fuel line has a manual (aftermarket) valve which I assume will serve the same purpose

Bump, can anyone share where the water stream should exit the engine? And the stalling when the engine is at an angle?

Thanks-

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i have been playing with 3hp, 92' two weeks ago

1. water should exit thru 4 lower cowl holes.
later i will send you youtube video

2. float shoud be paralel to carb body, when you tilt down side up.
take of carb lower bowl, and tilt it up ,and float should be paralel

3.carb has builtin fuel valve.
to carb leads 2 fuel hose, one from fuel tank, and the second one from powerhead chamber.
valve is in this area where hose goes to carb lower bowl
slow speed adjustment: turn needle all the way in and turn out 1.5 turn and start to adjust.

5. sometimes its good to change head gasket and do the head flatening in auto repair shop

i have been playing with 3hp, 92' two weeks ago

1. water should exit thru 4 lower cowl holes.
later i will send you youtube video

2. float shoud be paralel to carb body, when you tilt down side up.
take of carb lower bowl, and tilt it up ,and float should be paralel

3.carb has builtin fuel valve.
to carb leads 2 fuel hose, one from fuel tank, and the second one from powerhead chamber.
valve is in this area where hose goes to carb lower bowl
slow speed adjustment: turn needle all the way in and turn out 1.5 turn and start to adjust.

5. sometimes its good to change head gasket and do the head flatening in auto repair shop

Thank you, I would be interested in seeing the video!

Float looks pretty parallel to the body when the carb is inverted. Looks like the float drop level is 1-1/8-1-1/2, I will check that as well.

The fuel valve is non-existent on my carb. The linkage to it (bowl side) was broken off at some point, so it just stays open and there is a manual ball valve on the fuel line to shut that off (there is no lower cowling present).

As far as the slow speed adjustment, is that all done by feel like anything else carb'd?

Thanks!

raczekp1

Lieutenant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8FGYl6B7k

in carb quwest.
i just do the soak in two type of acid carb cleaner.
i wisit Husgwarna dealer and pay for this sme money, just a litle.

float shoul be paralel, but in you tilt it to normal position, should be hangiong down and you could not manage to blowe air in fuel entrance pipe

fixcarb

Recruit

Hi
I started to take the carburetor on my 1989 J3BRESR apart and dropped and can not find part 40 (obsolete part). The part is shown in schematic that can be found in this link. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J3BRESR 1990/CARBURETOR/parts.html Can anyone tell me what this part does and how I should go about making a new one? The reason I am taking the carburetor off is to try and clean it. It would only run at high speed and wouldn't idle at all. I was hoping that cleaning it would cure the problem. Any comments?
Thank you