1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 Wont Start; Just a Single Click When You Turn the Key

EHouseHead

Seaman
I was attempting to start my engine and after several unsuccessful tries I went to turn the key to try again and all I hear is a single "click". It sounds like it is coming from the solenoid or the starter. The batteries are charge 100%, all wiring is free of corrosion and on tight on both the batteries and the solenoid. I hooked a voltmeter up to the solenoid and we have 12V going in. I hooked the voltmeter up to the terminal/post on the starter and turned the key and it was topping out at about 6.5 Volts. Does this mean the solenoid is bad, or could it be something else? Would the starter be making any noise or attempting to do something with only 6.5 volts or would it behave as it is and do nothing at all (or just a click if it is the starter clicking not the solenoid)? Is there a way to test the starter? Can I run jumper cables from the battery to the terminal/post on the starter to see if it tries to turn?

Any input is better than none!
Thanks for your help,
DJ

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 Wont Start; Just a Single Click When You Turn the Key

I hooked a voltmeter up to the solenoid and we have 12V going in. I hooked the voltmeter up to the terminal/post on the starter and turned the key and it was topping out at about 6.5 Volts.

Did you turn the key when you were reading 12 volts going into the solenoid and did it drop to 6.5 there also?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 Wont Start; Just a Single Click When You Turn the Key

Yes, you can run jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter. It may help in finding out what is wrong here.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"all wiring is free of corrosion and on tight on both the batteries and the solenoid."

How do you know this?? Did you scrub the connectors??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Six volts at the starter says you have: 1) bad battery (yes 12 volts may be read with no load) 2) bad connections, 3) bad starter. These are listed in the order of probability. Any auto store will load test the battery for free. Make sure it is fully charged before you leave. Fully charged does not mean it's a good battery.

EHouseHead

Seaman

"all wiring is free of corrosion and on tight on both the batteries and the solenoid."

How do you know this?? Did you scrub the connectors??

Yes i took a wire brush to EVERYTHING!

EHouseHead

Seaman

Did you turn the key when you were reading 12 volts going into the solenoid and did it drop to 6.5 there also?

12V going in to solenoid at all times. Moved the voltmeter to the starter post/terminal and 0V until the key is turned at which point 6.5V.

EHouseHead

Seaman

Six volts at the starter says you have: 1) bad battery (yes 12 volts may be read with no load) 2) bad connections, 3) bad starter. These are listed in the order of probability. Any auto store will load test the battery for free. Make sure it is fully charged before you leave. Fully charged does not mean it's a good battery.

I am going to go ahead and get the batteries checked out even though my charger says they are 100%. Perhaps a load test will reveal they aren't pushing like they should. Here is where I am at....

I replaced the starter solenoid...didn't make any difference. However I beat the crap out of the starter with a hammer and it did start. I turned it off because it wasn't hooked up to a hose. I hooked it up to a hose and went to start it and it sounded like it wanted to but like the batteries were slowly dying. Put the charger on both, and they are both at 100%. I was thinking maybe it is the brushes are shot or just about shot in the starter. Could that or something else wrong with the starter fool you by making the similar sound of batteries slowly dying as you are trying to start the boat? Or does it sound like the batteries might be toast even though the charger is claiming they are gravy?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't trust your bat chargers as a load test is is the only way to check a battery. Sounds like you might have a starter prob also but don't beat the crap out of it cause you'll crack the magnets in it.

EHouseHead

Seaman

Don't trust your bat chargers as a load test is is the only way to check a battery. Sounds like you might have a starter prob also but don't beat the crap out of it cause you'll crack the magnets in it.

Ok thanks. I was going to take the batteries and starter into autozone for testing but the starter doesnt look so simple to remove. Do you have to take off all of those bolts all around the crank cover which has all those levers and what not just to get the starter out? It looks like I dont even know 20 bolts which isnt my concern, I'm more worried about messing up any kinda calibration of all of those switches and levers on the top of the engine. I guess I can start with bringing in the batteries to see whats up. Good excuse to buy a deep cycle finally :)

jonesg

Admiral

Thats the flywheel cover, if you remove it you need to replace the gasket and then re-sync the ignition advance mechanism.
Do the simpler troubleshootin first, see if your boat battery will start your tow vehicle.
Then test the boat battery cables.

EHouseHead

Seaman

Guess it has to be the starter. Both batteries checked out fine at Autozone. All wiring is good, brand new solenoid... I don't think I am capable of replacing it so going to have to hit up the old mechanic!

EHouseHead

Seaman

I'm officially stumped....again. I checked the voltage going into the solenoid when I turned the key and it drops from 12.5 to under 6v with one battery and I just get a click, and the other battery is showing 7v and then drops to below 5v when I turn the KEY! So I assumed it was something between the batteries and the wiring, maybe the switch or some thing so I first tried bypassing the switch, and using the battery showing 12.5v at the solenoid, still same results. So I unhooked the battery completely and ran jumpers from it to the solenoid and it drops still! I say AHA the batteries must be bad, bot nope AutoZone's tester said they are both fine, load tested and all. My tester with the load switch says the same. When I hit the load switch each battery drops from about 13v to 12.5v. SO what could this be, I need help please!?

THANKS TO ALL!

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

starter can be tested at autozone for free as well. too bad its a major pain to get to. Take digital pictures as you dismantle to remove the starter, keep everything organized.

jonesg

Admiral

I don't know which manual you guys are looking at but mine shows the starter held in place by 2 bolts and its out....it drops down.
Good luck if you lose track of the wiring locations.
And if you forget to disconnect the battery first the rest of the ignition will turn to smoke.;)

daselbee

Commander

I could ride up there. I am only thirty mins away. PM me with your phone number if you want to.

daselbee

Commander

Bump up...is this fixed? Do you need a bit of help?

EHouseHead

Seaman

The starter CAN be tested at Autozone... yes.... "if" I bring it in disconnected from the engine which looks like one hell of a job, one out of my league. I've been told to take off my starter you have to remove the whole plate that covers the gears and all that good stuff, which not only requires a new gasket but a special tool to put it on. Plus someone said you have to have all those odd levers and switches or whatever they are tuned exactly so for it to run right. Out of my league... period lol. If it were 2 bolts to remove the starter, that SOB would have been replaced 2 weeks ago, just because ;). I'm gunna PM you right now daselbee, I appreciate the offer. I don't believe in "Karma", but I do believe in the golden rule, what comes around goes around. I think I really need another set of eyes and a new fresh perspective to look at this before I decide to dump it on my mechanic. I know if I do that, I'm looking at serious labor for him to figure it all out, plus parts. I enjoy working on my motor....when the work I do is...well...worthwhile lol.

Cheers to all & a happy good weekend! I hope everyone else is able o enjoy their boat in this awesome weather we are having right now ( In Florida at least that is ;) )

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

The starter CAN be tested at Autozone... yes.... "if" I bring it in disconnected from the engine which looks like one hell of a job, one out of my league. I've been told to take off my starter you have to remove the whole plate that covers the gears and all that good stuff, which not only requires a new gasket but a special tool to put it on. Plus someone said you have to have all those odd levers and switches or whatever they are tuned exactly so for it to run right. Out of my league... period lol. If it were 2 bolts to remove the starter, that SOB would have been replaced 2 weeks ago, just because ;).

I had to replace my starter years ago because someone beat the crap out of it with a crescent wrench and fractured the magnets in it just like boobie said. And like jonesg said, there are only 2 bolts holding the starter on, you do not need to touch the cover plate. With the battery disconnected, what you need to do is label and remove all the wires connected to the solenoid and starter and then use a 1/2 inch socket to remove the 2 starter mounting bolts. In the picture there is one bolt just above the 2 red wires and the other bolt is to the left, next to the lifting eye. Good luck, you can do this.:)
P9180003.jpg

EHouseHead

Seaman

I had to replace my starter years ago because someone beat the crap out of it with a crescent wrench and fractured the magnets in it just like boobie said. And like jonesg said, there are only 2 bolts holding the starter on, you do not need to touch the cover plate. With the battery disconnected, what you need to do is label and remove all the wires connected to the solenoid and starter and then use a 1/2 inch socket to remove the 2 starter mounting bolts. In the picture there is one bolt just above the 2 red wires and the other bolt is to the left, next to the lifting eye. Good luck, you can do this.:)
P9180003.jpg
P9180003.jpg

Welp I feel stupid that should be simple if those are the only 2 bolts holding it on. That pic def looks like my exact setup. I have a quick stupid question. When I replaced the solenoid, I marked marked the wires that needed to go to the ground and the ones that needed to go to the power side, and the ones that needed to go to the small connections on the bottom of the solenoid. I foolishly walked away for a minute to find a tool in the middle of putting all the wires back on and had 1 wire I was unsure of where it should go. It was red (wrapped in black casing) and it went straight up to the top of the motor and then down a hole behind the power pack basically. Does that wire belong on the power side of the solenoid? What is its purpose? It just didn't feel right when I was putting it on, I could have sworn there were only 3 wires on the power side not 4 (or 4 wires not 5) I forget I'm not in front of it right now.... Stupid manual didn't help me out at all on that one lol.

Thanks