Which cleaner and how for carb rebuild?

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a can of Berryman a while back to soak the carbs but then was advised not to soak them. What is the proper way too clean a carb? This stuff always worked fine for me in the past when I had to rebuild a carb on a car.

Braking them down you could see a sludge that reminded me of sugar. Kind of like what you find at the bottom of an ice tea glass if you poured a ton of it in there but it was much thicker.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Which cleaner and how for carb rebuild?

Berrymans is fine on metal only. Just remember to tear them down and remove any plastic or rubber pieces as they will not survive. I soak all my pieces as well as blow them out with spray cleaner and follow with compressed air.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I just rebuilt my 40 HP's carb yesterday. Here's what I do:
Disassemble, soak big parts in bucket of Berryman for a few hours. I use the Berryman to "loosen things up", since it really doesn't get dirt off the carb without help.
Then using a can of carb cleaner, further clean it up and blow through all of the passages.
Finish it off with compressed air.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What motor is it from?

I follow the same steps as mentioned above, soak for an hour or two, spray carb cleaner through all passages, but then I wash the carb in warm water to clean out all the crud from inside and out, then blast with compressed air, through all passages.

I asked which motor, because if it has fixed jets, be sure to remove them and clean thoroughally, otherwise you may be doing it twice.

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

J90TLEDA

Well I?m just waiting till I have a good window where I can clean things up and reassemble everything while not being interrupted (may be this weekend). I have a few cans of throttle body cleaner left over from when I cleaned that and the upper intake on my F150. I?ll soak them for an hour or two, hit it with the spray cleaner and then warm soapy water to make sure everything is off.

Noticed on the Sierra sheet that it says to soak the carb for 15 minutes but not sure if the cleaning solution they used is comparable to Berryman.

jonesg

Admiral

Johnson 1995 90hp.
You get more help with the important info in the op.
There are rebuild vids on youtube.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best thing to use to clean carburetors is an ultra sonic machine. Harbor Freight has them for a reasonable price. Before cleaning, be sure to drill out the welch plugs. Take out the drain plugs in the bowl, leave all jets in place. After a 45 second ultra sonic bath with warm water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid, clean all parts with water nozzle and compressed air. Reassemble.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best thing to use to clean carburetors is an ultra sonic machine.

Forgot that I have a large one that my wife had for jewlery. Been using it once in a while to clean my air brush.

Its not as big as that one but should fit one carb in it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used BRP Engine Tuner in a bucket. You can put plastic and metat parts in it and if you forget them no harm done. Rinse with water and blow out with compressed air.