83 Johnson 150hp Fuel treatment/cleaning?

amvaneyk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a few questions. I just bought a 1983, 17 ft glaston boat with a 150 hp Johnson outboard on it, the motor says "VRO 150 GT". It hasn't been put in the water in quite some time, but the guy who sold it to me put some muffs on it and she fired right up. I was wondering if I should run some kind of fuel treatment through her, or do anything before I put her in the water and test it out. I have some work to do on the interior but don't want to start anything unless the motor is in great working shape. I was also curious what the gas ratio would be if any. Below is picture of the motor.

johnson150.jpg

Thanks!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 83 Johnson 150hp Fuel treatment/cleaning?

I have a few questions. I just bought a 1983, 17 ft glaston boat with a 150 hp Johnson outboard on it, the motor says "VRO 150 GT". It hasn't been put in the water in quite some time, but the guy who sold it to me put some muffs on it and she fired right up. I was wondering if I should run some kind of fuel treatment through her, or do anything before I put her in the water and test it out. I have some work to do on the interior but don't want to start anything unless the motor is in great working shape. I was also curious what the gas ratio would be if any. Below is picture of the motor.

johnson150.jpg

Thanks!

I tried to upload the pic for you.
First thing, get the model number so we know what yr it is and you get the factory service book.

New to you?
Be carefull, its easy to blow an outboard if it doesn't run properly and you try to force the issue.
On a hose they will run fine even if one piston is blown .
The only way to know is to put them under load, the hose doesn't provide any load, no backpressure on the exhaust system, so it has to go in the water for testing.

But before doing that, Do a compression test, theres no sense pouring money into it if it fails.

If compression is even across all 6 (within 10%)
then go ahead and do a complete service, check the gear oil, drain it out and fill with fresh oil, use new seals on drain screws.
Remove prop and check shaft for mono fishing line ( it will cut into the prop seal if left)
lube the shaft and reinstall prop...use a new S/S cotter pin.

Draw some fuel into a glass and let it settle, look for water seperation.
When I got my first V6 I ordered the factory service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com

Then changed the water pump, rebuilt all the carbs and decarbed it.
Then we test ran it on a hose , then put it in the water.

Attachments

• johnson150.jpg
    johnson150.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 Johnson 150hp Fuel treatment/cleaning?

That engine originally would have had an oil/fuel mixing pump on it. No need to measure out the oil into the fuel if it is still eqiupped with an original type fuel pump and separate oil tank. Some of these older crossflows can benefit from an internal crankcase cleaning process: The "decarb" mentioned in the previous thread. See your Bombardier dealer and get a can of Bombardier Engine Tuner. Follow the directions. Keeps carbon off the ringsets. Good to do that annually.